Question about a/b split

That depends on so many things. Impossible to give a really useful answer without more info, but, assuming that your workout was well thought out, that you had the time and could consume enough calories each day, then training twice a day, three days a week with a full-body w/o might be more effective than just three times a week due to the summation effect of the higher frequency. You would have to manage your fatigue and volume well to get it right though.

I don't really see the need for an A/B split unless you don't have enough time to complete your w/o in one go. You should be able to do a full-body w/o in an hour. If you have too many exercises to get your w/o done in an hour then it might be best to have two full-body w/os that you can alternate between. I know of quite a few folks here that do this.

Thanks for the response, might try the am/pm next go round. Back to the a/b dilemma, is there any benefit to doing an a/b or are there more benefits in doing the same routine.

Routine would consist of mostly compounds, more iso's would be added on a/b routine. Probably 8 exercises total.

do you mean a)mon b)wed a)fri.
if so i would just do a fullbody m,w,f, same exercises that way you have better neural learning so will have better strenght.good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Reasons why I'd do A/B split are simple:

to alternate squats and deadlifts, bench press and dips, chins and rows and maybe military press and incline lateral raises.

However with exception of the need for alternating squats and deadlifts (some young warriors will do them on same days, too much for my lower back, Ouch
laugh.gif
- old warrior) you can very much do the same workout and probably get very good results.

My first option though ensures that different muscle groups get hit constantly and progressively.
wink.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">to alternate squats and deadlifts, bench press and dips, chins and rows and maybe military press and incline lateral raises.</div>
That's the reason I am currently doing an A/B split 4x a week (A, B, A, B). Each workout is still full body, but I alternate between certain exercises for major bodyparts, like chest and back. I feel that when using multiple exercises per bodypart, the load is compromised for subsequent exercises after the first one. For example, after 20 total heavy reps of dips, the load for incline bench is somewhat compromised (compared to what I could do if I started fresh). The same with chins and rows (and a few other exercises). So, I decided to concentrate on one exercise each time (and maybe do a bit more volume) instead of holding back (sometimes subconsciously) during the first one so that I can be adequate for the second. I can't imagine myself going as heavy if I did squats AND deadlifts (normal) in the same workout!
tounge.gif
Taxing and time-consuming.

Regards,
Dimitris

Thanks for the info

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
I am currently doing an A/B split 4x a week (A, B, A, B).
Each workout is still full body</div>
Is that enough rest for the muscle to grow? I thought it was 48 hrs.

Thinking about going w/ something like this m/w/f
Squats
Bench
Rows
Military Press
Chins

How would I add in biceps, triceps, forearms, calves, traps or would it be best to leave out iso's? Or a couple sets a week? These full body splits are confusing...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is that enough rest for the muscle to grow? I thought it was 48 hrs.</div>
The muscle can grow even through constant loading, but this isn't very practical.
laugh.gif
HST advises 3x a week training because the anabolic effects of exercise generally last 36-48 hours. So, if you train approximately every other day you should be fine. However, training sooner than that won't compromise your gains in any way. And maybe, just maybe, it can actually help a bit (summation effect).

The muscle itself doesn't need &quot;rest&quot; (as perceived by humans) in order to grow. Our CNS, though, is an entirely different story. We have to balance exercise, frequency and volume with CNS fatigue. Many guys here have actually tried 6x a week or even 12x a week. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it serves your goals.

Keep in mind, though, that high frequency training requires a lot of energy, making it somewhat difficult to bulk. Not that it can't be done, it's just that many guys have problems eating that much and so they stick with 3x a week. If you can grow on 4x a week, 6x a week or whatever that's fine. As they say, only you can manage your own training.

Regards,
Dimitris

Jack

That is fine, skip the isos but add alternated deadlifts and weighted dips also alternated (they'll grow your forearms and traps alright) at least once per week.

You may want to include just incline bicep curls after your chins and skullcrushers after yoour dips.

All bases will be covered &quot;all your money back garantee&quot;
laugh.gif

Aim for lifting 2x body weight in squats and deadlifts, 1 1/2 x for bench press and at least body weight for military press.

Appreciate the feedback fellas...
If the cns needs to rest, and you are on a m/w/f routine, is it best to leave tu/th/sat strictly for rest? Or is it acceptable to do some cardio and abs on those off days?

Thanks

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">is it acceptable to do some cardio and abs on those off days? </div>
Moderate cardio on off days is fine. For abs, it depends.

If you're doing abs HST style, I'd work them the same number of days per week as other muscles. If you're just doing high rep situps or similar with no progressive load, then more often should be ok. If you're not doing them on HST days, then sure you can do them on off days.

Back