question about ab work

naiveguy

Hi everyone,

I've completed one 8-week hst cycle, plus a week of SD, and am now two weeks into my second cycle, just about to start the 10s. My question: How do you structure your ab workouts? Do you apply hst principles, i.e. two weeks of 15s, two weeks of 10s, etc, with the progressive weight loads and decreasing reps, or do you treat the abs differently? During my first cycle I did two sets of 10-15 reps for four different ab exercises. This cycle I'm thinking I may try a hst approach for ab workouts, doing weighted crunches and hanging leg raises, using the 15,10, 5, negative approach.

What do you think about that?

My workout, an A-B routine, for what it's worth:

A
high pull (kind of a combination of a deadlift and upright row, done explosively, rising up on toes)
squat, atg
incline bench
bent over row
overhed press
abs

B
snatch pull (training movement from olympic lifting)
deadlift
weighted dip
lat pulldown or weighted chin
overhead press
abs

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don't do the 15-10-5 thing with abs... when wanting to grow them, I stick with about 15 reps, with weights.

My preferred approach is 15 cable crunches/15 leg raises supersets... so 30x3 or 4. That's gotten me the best growth.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Maybe I'll stick with a 10 to 15 rep range, with one or two sets of two exercises.

Work the abs like any other muscle. You wanna grow them, you've got to train them like a muscle, because they are a muscle. You wanna see them - do that in the kitchen.

This is my first HST cycle and I'm in the middle of the 10's right now. I decided, contrary to everything I've always done, that I will do abs just like all the other muscles: 15, 10, 5. I've never done floor crunches with a 70 pound dumbbell on my chest before, but it doesn't really seem that different than the high rep stuff I was doing before. Right now, it's hard to tell whether it's made any difference. Time will tell.

I think I'll try the 15-10-5 ab experiment too, XxGodjrxX. Maybe this is what vagrant meant when he said to treat the abs like any other muscle.

Back