Question about failure

Fuzzy_Logic

In the FAQ it says that when the weight goes noticeably slower on the way up, you should stop the set.

My question is, what exactly is 'noticeably'? Is it so that the weight almost comes to a halt in mid-rep?

Another question, regarding pauses between reps. Sometimes I tend to take a short pause on the top of, for example, the squat, romanian deadlift, overhead press etc. This pause is no more than 3-4 seconds usually, and I tend to do it when I am approaching the last reps because I'm getting tired. Is this a bad thing? Should I instead stop the set if I feel the need to take pauses at lockout?

"Noticeably slower" is a significant difference in rep speed. For example if your typical rep (eccentric and concentric parts) takes 2 seconds, and toward the end of a set the rep speed is more like 6 seconds as you very slowly move the weight, that's what Brian means. If the weight comes to a halt mid-rep, you've likely pushed one rep too far in terms of HST.

Pausing between reps is very normal; and 3-4 seconds is well within reason. Optimally, you want to try and gain the endurance necessary NOT to pause, but as the loads go up, pausing is inevitable. No matter what, never sacrifice form; if in order to maintain form you have to pause, PAUSE.

Best of luck in your training!

Adding to what tim said the idea behind the "noticeably slow" is that you now that after the current rep you might fail the next rep or so. That is your cue to stop the set. There is a large difference in terms of CNS impact (and mental impact) between a very difficult rep and a failed rep. The hypertrophic gains for doing and failing that one extra rep are not even remotely close to the CNS/recovery cost of doing the rep. That way when you realize you might fail the following rep it is prefered to call the set quits and not take that risk. One way of knowing that the next rep might be a failed rep is by the speed of the current rep but in the end you are the best judge of how far along are you fatigue-wise. You can also use RPE to make that call. if your current rep is RPE 9.5-10 then you should probably put the weight down.

So basically "avoiding failure" just means that you should avoid reaching the point where a rep comes to a complete halt in the middle of the set?

And slower rep speed the rep before, is an indicator that this is about to happen?

Yes.
Of course completely breaking your form so you can complete the rep is not a prudent move too since an injury will surely get in the way of your objectives.

Back