Question about HST routine setups (alternation)?

senorsolidtight

I know the important part is that I just do it (no nike ad), but I'm about to start my first HST cycle, but I'm confused about if I should alternate the exercises in an A or B fashion or not. Is it worth doing or should I just stick with one exercise the whole time and switch them the next cycle?

Here is the routine I think I'm going to do. I've read less is more so the minor muscles like arms/shoulder isolations are in the air. However, I also have the urge to do 2 exercises for chest(inc db/dips) and back (pullups/bent rows). I assume I would be doing the 15x1 10x2 5x3 setup as time went on. Critiques are also welcome on the potential routine.

P.S. I'm coming from a long lifting break so I'm open to cutting unnecessary volume if need be.

My alternating A/B cycle as of now consists of
Quads:Squat / Front Squat
Hams: SLDL (maybe regular deads for 5 reps) / Leg Curls or regular deads b/c of less fatigue
Chest: Incline DB \ Dips
Back: Pullups \ Bent Rows
Traps: BB Shrugs \ BB Shrugs
Shoulders: Military press \ Arnold Press (maybe lateral or rear raises added in for isolation afterwards?)
Tris: Close Grip Bench
Bis: Standing Barbell Curl
Calf Raises

Any advice on how to proceed is appreciated. As I said I'm a newbie to the routine so I am very flexible.

Thanks.

Here's my thoughts (lifting since 2000, HST since 04 for whatever 'grain of salt' rating you want to give me :));

-Stick to 2 sets for each of 15s, 10s, 5s. For the 2nd block of 5's/negatives, just work with your 5RM and increase it as your strength gains allow.
-Alternation is good for a first cycle; it lets you decide which exercises you like moving forward
-It's also mentally more stimulating
-You aren't going to be making gains based on minute neural adaptations yet, so there's no real disadvantage to it yet.
-SLDL and Leg Curls are your hamstring alternators IMO. Deadlifts work everything except upper body 'push' muscles, basically (no chest-anterior delts-triceps). They're worthy of inclusion but I would just do them every other workout rather than trying to alternate with something.
-Add in some rear raises

I like that for a first-timers cycle.

That program looks good.

Alex's advice is spot on.

Personally I would do laterals and rear laterals as your main shoulder movement, the side and rear deltoids need the most work. Front deltoids get plenty of work with chest movements, and are often overtrained in many routines. Also overhead pressing can cause shoulder impingement issues, and other bum shoulder problems.

As someone who gravitated towards DB presses instead of BB (for OHP's) from the get-go, I've more or less come to the point where I want to abandon OHP'ing all together. I think between Incline, Flat Bench, Landmine Press, rear, mid and front raises (DB or cable) etc that you can hit the anterior and medial delts well enough without these movements. Maybe if you're hitting some sort of chemical it would be worth including.

Interesting. It seems to work the shoulders from a more practical use standpoint. I have seen machines that mimic this but I have never seen it done with just a bar. I guess I could just point the unloaded end of a bar into a corner in my basement and get the same motionas this guy here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6lwZEHRl8w

Hmmmm. Might have to give it a go.

I tried them yesterday for the first time, impressed with the feeling you get through your shoulder/arm and even neck to some extent.

I need to figure out the logistics though as balancing the unweighted end on some car ramps stood on their end wasn't the easiest.

It did give me one hell of a cramp on my right toes on each set though, feet were level and shoulder width (no shoes). Might have to have a play with my feet position.

Back