question about incorporating chins

osu_med

So my 10 rep max for chins is.....exactly 10.

Should I simply do 1x10 or 2x10 for chins on each training day? I figure that would negate the "progressive load" aspect of HST.

So should I instead use an assisted machine and decrease the assistance each training day? IE, 25lbs assistance on Monday, 20lbs Wed, 15lbs Fri, and such until I hit 0lbs assistance on that last Friday of the cycle?

Thanks in advance!

You could use the assistance machine... however, I would just do 10 each training day. Your bodyweight should be an effective weight for growth for several weeks, so by the time you get into the 5s and start adding weight to your chins, you should still be well away from RBE. You should also grow considerably stronger in chins by the end of the cycle, so next time you will be able to use more progression.

What grip width are you using? If you're using a wide grip then you should be able to do more reps with a narrower grip and you can then widen it as you go along.

If you're already using a narrow grip then I personally would use lat pull downs for progression and then switch to chins a session or two before your 10rm.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks for the quick replies.

I usually go with a wide grip, so I guess I'll take both pieces of advice and go with just my BW, and vary the grip.

Kind of unrelated to this, but I didn't want to start a 2nd thread, but just wondering if 9-12 sets/wk is too much for back and chest?

If you can handle it and and still feel good for the next workout, nothing is "too much". As long as you can maintain your frequency and progressive load, you are fine. Start worrying when you delay your workouts and/or lose strength.

Osu

I think bot Tot, Rob and 9 to 5 are right.

Wide grip is so much harder, but it targets different areas of the back, close grip allows better performance as the biceps help a huge bit in there. :D

Idea - do one of each per day or alternate, check how much you can load on the close grip underhand chins. (Yep the grip is importnat to bring in the biceps to work you have to grip with palms facing you)  
wow.gif

As Tot said, start loading from the 5's and you will get progress there, remember too that although chins are good back builders, they definitely do not stand alone, there are plenty of alternatives and/or complimentary exercises, remember HST is all about versatility and simplicity, but tweaking when used is usually to the best advantage
wow.gif

Personally and yep...only personally, I feel that the assist machine should not be used if you can manage more than 5 reps with body weight, darn thing should be used for therapy
crazy.gif
rather
laugh.gif

Once again this is my opinion I am very old school, so I don't believe in making life sooooo easy in the gym
laugh.gif

As for volume 9/12 is fine, that 3 to 4 sets per w/o in one week, beware though back exercises can wear you out! So they may end up robbing you of some needed strength
laugh.gif

One very good alternative is suppersetting!

Like Fausto said, chins aren't the only back exercise out there... I would at least do bentover rows in addition to the chins.

Back