Question about maxes

KungFuJoe

When you reach your max set day, should you be able to do MORE than your max (back at the time when you calculated)? For instance, and I'm just throwing numbers out there, say my 15 rep max on the bench was 135. So workout 6 of the 15s comes around and I put 135 on and I do 15 reps, but feel like I could do 2 more without failure. Is that normal, or does it mean I went too low with my max back when I calculated?

No, that's quite normal and it means things are going well.
smile.gif

I tend to do what I can on the RM workouts without going to failure. So, if for w/o 6 of 15s I can get 16 or 17 reps without failing that's what I'll do. It is a workout after all and you have a full weekend to get over it. Usually there's some zig-zagging when you start the next mesocycle so your CNS will get a bit of an extra break during the first few w/os before you get to the heavier stuff again.

Thanks for the reply...that's good to know and I will try to put in that extra rep or so in the future.

Also, one thing I noticed is that people are recommending 2 sets of 15s whereas I only did one set for everyday of the 15s.  I forgot where I got the info from, but it basically said to do one set of 15s, two of 10s and three each of the 5s.  

Would I be better off doing 2 sets of the 15s, 2 sets of the first week of 10s and one set in the 2nd week, and 2 sets of the first week of the 5s and then one set of the last week...and for the final 2 weeks, attempt to 2 sets of my 5RM for each workout?

well...I guess the whole point is to do what you can without overtraining and risking injury, right? So if I feel I can do 3 sets of the 5s (or even 3 sets of the 15s) should do it...or would that be pushing it?

Back