Question about number of sets

windjammer

I have been increasing the number of sets as some people suggest, doing 1 set each exercise for 15s, two for 10s, and three for 5s.

I am a severe hardgainer. My question is this: I was making slow, steady progress when I was doing the 15s, but progress has seemed to slow. I think I am burning too many calories with the extra sets. Bryan suggests that the first set is the only "effective" set, but doing one set of each exercise makes for a pretty weaksauce workout, if you ask me. What do you guys suggest?

Eat steak lift.

You might want to check out my UGW assumptions in my "Optimize your Caloric Intake" thread - located in my signature.

Another good set template :

2x rep # week 1
1x rep # week 2   (of each rep range)

Not sure how effective for a beginner or someone who's loads aren't fairly "advanced" , but if set up with just enough sets per muscle group (see my log for example in action) - I'd dare say MAY be most effective as strength/esp. power will out grow CNS/recovery ability so to speak at a certain point using HST . This works for lifters who's loads are fairly close to natural potential but may work for a true hard gainer.

I would (in your shoes) try a cycle of simplify and win type vanilla (reserving the right to drop a set during the last 2 w/o's of each rep range if necessary to conserve enough to hit each movement with appropriate intensity) and begin "eating like it's your job" (TOTZ) - mixing olive oil (tblsp) , scoops of icecream, and a banana into your protien and milk shakes - is one cheap and easy way to get some big calories thats easy to digest if your appetite is still small.
smile.gif

<div>
(windjammer @ Aug. 06 2007,02:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have been increasing the number of sets as some people suggest, doing 1 set each exercise for 15s, two for 10s, and three for 5s.

I am a severe hardgainer. My question is this: I was making slow, steady progress when I was doing the 15s, but progress has seemed to slow. I think I am burning too many calories with the extra sets. Bryan suggests that the first set is the only &quot;effective&quot; set, but doing one set of each exercise makes for a pretty weaksauce workout, if you ask me. What do you guys suggest?</div>
1x15
3x5
are the same amount of reps so you are doing more sets but the total is the same,as the guys have said if you are not gaining its not the workout&quot;although it can be&quot;its your diet eat more
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Back