Question about progressive load

Avi1985

I know progressive load is necessary for hypertrophy.
But there is something bothering me.
lets say i start my cycle with x load and end the cycle with y load. So the next cycle i start with x load + arond 10% of x. But it still not even close to the y load so there will be no hypertrophy because i already got used to the y load + to the work & power of the y load ( if you don't know what i mean by saying work & power you can read this 3 parts article).
What do you think?

Have you read the HST FAQ? This question is thoroughly answered there.

However, if you are a newbie, HST may not be for you. See wannagrow's log.

Let's see if this get your attention: From the FAQ e-book

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
3) Progressive Load

Anywhere one goes, one hears &quot;Changing one's routine is a way to prevent stagnation. If you're not growing, change things.&quot;
We're all in the business of growing muscle. Unfortunately, the body doesn't like to do that. It's rather expensive for the body to repair and produce new muscle tissue. It requires both lots of protein and lots of energy (sort of like the &quot;parts&quot; and the &quot;labor).

So, when an exercise is performed that damages the muscle tissue, in addition to the growth response the muscle also becomes resistant to further damage from that load. This is called the Repeated Bout Effect.

(4) This is why routines fail to cause further progress. It is also why HST incorporates progressive load.

Side note: strength programs and growth
As anyone who's done WSB will tell you, strength programs can induce a good deal of hypertrophy. As a result, many bodybuilders adopt strength-training programs as a means of causing growth. By isolating and understanding WHY they cause growth, you can just skip straight to the growth-causing elements without wasting time with all of the neural tricks that strength training uses to increase your 1RM.

Strength programs typically have people work with very low reps, often to failure. Both of those have been shown to increase the nervous system's efficiency at performing a movement, thus increasing strength. So, when someone starts a strength training program, initially he/she sees a lot of growth.

His/her muscles are not that resistant to damage, and at high tension levels the Repeated Bout Effect takes a little while to kick in. As long as he/she also continues making strength gains, he/she will experience progressive load, and will see muscle growth as long as he/she is overeating. Unfortunately, after a time the strength gains will slow to a crawl, and at that point the muscles are very resistant to damage and will simply not grow.

At this point, conventional wisdom would have our trainee change up his/her routine. This advice is somewhat sound, as new exercises can put new levels of tension on muscle fibers and thus elicit more growth. Also, a rep change can stimulate new growth as well, but ONLY if the new rep range is lower and allows more weight to be used, thus loading the tissue at new levels.

Instead of changing the routine, HST advocates...

4) Strategic Deconditioning

Before each cycle, in order to make the muscles responsive to the light weights in the beginning, a period of 9-14 days is taken off from all training. This reverses some of the effects of the RBE. It allows HST-users to experience rapid and sustainable progress.
This is one of the reasons why newbies experience such great initial gains.

They have had such long deconditioning periods. Trained individuals also notice this; when coming off of a planned or unplanned layoff they often experience a renewal of gains.</div>

Then...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So the next cycle i start with x load + arond 10% of x. But it still not even close to the y load so there will be no hypertrophy because i already got used to the y load + to the work &amp; power of the y load </div>

SD is important so you can grow again with small loads, after you've &quot;broken&quot; or &quot;erased&quot; the muscle memory...but you really should do some reading thre is plenty of info here and...its free!
wink.gif

I already read all that but i also read that 9-14 days of sd is not enought to get sensetive to low loads.
And if its enought, should i stop doing my MMA trainings durong the sd?

Muscles respond to positive weight differences and since you can't increase the weight you lift ad infinitum you have to back up and start over with some increase. The SD helps get the muscles sensible to the low initial weight. The 9-14 days is a approximate period to balance between deconditioning and atrophy. You can and should tweak it to your needs and body response.

There are other factors involved: high rep work at the start of a cycle is also about lactic acid and joint health. Following the end of a cycle, you won't really be hitting heavy weights again until you are at the end of the 15s or midway through the 10s (about 4/5 weeks later, including a 9/14 day SD). That's actually quite a long deload from the heavy stuff.

Periodically backing off before progressing load again is part of many tried and tested training programs; HST has you taking SD as well.

Work done will be going up over time, cycle on cycle, if the loads are progressing.

...and you don't have to give up your MMA. You don't do that to provide a hypertrophic response anyway.

Plus, you will be hitting new rep maxes in each mesocycle...so within 1.5-2 weeks of getting back at it, you will be lifting a heavier weight for more reps than you did before. If you do 3 full-body/week...you may be hitting new rep range maxes as soon as your 4th or 5th workout...possible even quicker.

Back