Question about the 10s

nipponbiki

I understand the vanilla HST says 2 sets of 10s.

I also know alot of guys here keep it at 1.5 to keep reps consistent.

Because of this, I have started to get the attitude of having a mininum of 1.5 sets with a max of 2 sets, and any reps over the first 5 of the second set are just extra cake (obviously stopping before failure).

Anybody else do this? Any thoughts?

Well, the whole reason for doing this is do a little heavier weights than can be done if strictly going for 2 full sets.

if you can use more weight then its not your true 10rm.

or are you saying use your 10rm 1st set and 5rm 2nd
rock.gif

Faz,

You seem to be missing the point of my post.

Please reread and let me know if my wording just doesn't make sense to you.

OK, let me explain.

Normal vanilla HST states 2 sets of 10s. Some people advocate doing 1.5 sets. So, if I have been doing 2 sets and decide to change to 1.5 sets like some advocate, then of course I can increase the weight a little.

So now, the actual goal is 1.5 sets. But, once I finish the first 5 reps of the second set, if I can still do more reps, then cool, I will do them UP TO a max of 10 reps or stopping before failure (the first rep to slow down is the last rep).

But as long as I get the 1.5 sets, I will not consider it a missed set, nor will I cluster to get more reps.

so you are saying in the 10s do instead of
1set 10, 1 set 10,
do
1set 10, 1 set 5, but if you can reach 10 then do it.
the point of doing 1.5 sets is to keep the volume the same through the cycle
15,15,15,on 15s,10s,5s, not to use more weight thats done by proggresive load over the cycle.

also cant understand how doing 1 set of 10 and one of 5 can allow you to use more weight,if you can lift the first 10 then with enough rest you can lift the 2nd 10.

faz,

Why are you so interested in defining what I am doing?

I am asking if anybody else does it this way, or what people think about doing it this way. I am not asking someone to define it.

faz,

Well, actually, so am I!

It just kinda happened, cause I ended up increasing the weight too much between the 15s and 10s. And I was only able to get 6-8 reps on the second set. Then I remembered some dudes saying the only do 1.5 sets during the 10s anyway, so this idea just popped in my head.

yes but they only do it to keep the reps constant through the cycle,not for more weight,if you can only do 8reps 2nd set then go ahead it but you must have your rms wrong.

Hate to say it but it depends. Some people, O&G for one, do one set regardless of the rep scheme. For them, they would probably say that anything you get in the second set is icing on the cake.

I do 2 sets of 10's. I almost always get 10 on the second set but if I start to fail at 8 I stop. This usually happens when I am a bit rushed and haven't totally recovered from my 1st set.

For some strange reason, many times I feel stronger on my second set than I do my first - especially early in my workout. I don't know if I'm more focused for my second set or what but it's not unusual for me.

So much of training is finding out what works for YOU - both physically and mentally.

Good Luck
Firm

I don't think that a half set, or keeping reps constant, or doing one or two work sets is as important as how much work is performed as it relates to your body at this time in this condition.
Therefore, as Firm said, you find what works for you. If you don't feel like you've really done a workout, you're probably needing to bring something up; if your routine is killing you (assuming correct diet), you may need to taper something down.

I don't recall seeing a lot of posts recommending 1.5 sets - it seems like there was just a few periodic discussions that had them in there, or I just missed them. Two sets of ten isn't that much work. After years of "3 sets of 8" routines, with 15 or so exersizes, HST is a cakewalk.

<div>
(Firminator @ Jan. 27 2007,09:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hate to say it but it depends. Some people, O&amp;G for one, do one set regardless of the rep scheme. For them, they would probably say that anything you get in the second set is icing on the cake.</div>
Exactly! However, if you are not working out intensely enough to make single sets count, then I think doing from 5 to 10 more reps in a second set with the same weight is a good idea.

<div>
(Firminator @ Jan. 27 2007,09:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">For some strange reason, many times I feel stronger on my second set than I do my first - especially early in my workout. I don't know if I'm more focused for my second set or what but it's not unusual for me.</div>
That is because you are thoroughly warmed up after one working set.

I have even found doing max-stim, that the later reps are sometimes easier, because my muscles are so warmed up and full of blood after the first few reps.

One solution is to warm up more. I know I don't warm up enough, I am thinking to do pyramid sets working up to the proper load, and then doing my max-stim set.

That will make for a pretty long workout SM. Personally I think warming up is over rated. I do one set each of push ups, pull ups and squats for my whole body warm up. I certainly am not warmed up enough to go for a personal powerlifting record but it seems to be adequate enough for me even for the max 5's.

Back