question about weights and cycles

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_djmb
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_djmb

i'm pretty new to HST, decided to check it out. but i have some questions.
on the website it says "Assign your max weights to the final workout of each 2 week block. Then, in 5-10 pound increments, assign weights in decreasing fashion starting from the last workout working backward to the first. So, for example, if your 10 rep max is 200 pounds, assign 200 pounds for the last workout of the 10 rep block, then assign weights that build up to your max in 6 workouts."
#1 before you start your cycles, you go in and get your maxes for your 15,10,5 reps right? well say after your 2 week 15 cycle, won't your 10 rep max be higher now? and especially your 5 rep max since it's been a month since you got it?
#2 what do you do inbetween cycles? say i finished my 2 week 15rep cycle, do i immediately start the 10rep cycle? or do i rest?
Thanks

Hi djmb and welcome. First of all, I would like to mention that a HST cycle consists of several 2 week blocks, i.e 2 weeks for 15's, 2 weeks for 10's, 2 weeks for 5's, 2 or more weeks for post 5's (negatives or you continue with your 5 RM max, these weeks being optional). Thus, each cycle last 6-8 weeks or even more. Now on to your questions.
#1 You are right, before you get started you find your 15 RM, 10 RM and 5 RM maxes. After that you SD and then begin your new cycle. Indeed, you may get stronger during your cycle, but this is not important. You may address this issue during your next cycle by adding some weight to your maxes, or you may adjust your weights and increments mid-cycle. I wouldn't worry too much about this, however, since in the end (post 5's) you will be able to hit your new max (if you feel strong enough you can use increments even during your post 5's).
#2 As I mentioned before, a 2 week period is called a block. Between blocks there is no rest, in other words after your 15 rep block you start immediately with your 10 rep block and so on. You will rest for a few days (generally 9-14) during your SD.

Hope this helps, read the FAQ too.

Hi djmb and welcome

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Then, in 5-10 pound increments, assign weights in decreasing fashion starting from the last workout working backward to the first.

I prefer to work with %'s as you will inevitably get caught out with some isolation exercises (eg:D/B lateral and bent over raises amongst others He,he,he
sneaky2.gif
)

Although that is the main protocol, as you get more advanced things can be tweeked whilst keeping the core HST quite there!

YOu can download both the FAQ's and "Pimp my HST" documents as these will guide you quite nicely as well as give you some insight on the scientific basis of the program.

Ciao

Fausto

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ June 30 2005,5:44)]Although that is the main protocol, as you get more advanced things can be tweeked whilst keeping the core HST quite there!
I personally wouldn't recommend doing any tweaking until you have completed a couple of cycles and see how and why you respond. Tweaking right off the bat can make for dismal results and no idea's on how to fix it leaving a bad taste for HST.

Dan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Although that is the main protocol, as you get more advanced things can be tweeked whilst keeping the core HST quite there!

Thanks for reiterating that, one must always remind begginers not to start getting all technical
tounge.gif
 before trying out the simple protocol first.
butbut.gif

After all we must look after HST by giving the best advice and not making wild suggestion that although are good in th elong run might not work for begginers and could turn people off! :mad:

Back