Question for Biz and others

Fausto

HST Expert
Biz :D

I know I am full ofit, but I'd like your opinion on this:

I should have carried on the other thread but too long threads make one less inclined to read or answer so here's a fresh one.

I have noticed that my back is somewhat lagging, so I have started to do something about it, however in your opinion what would be the best? :confused:

Pre-exhaust/Post exhaust or supersets?

I know that the back muscles are fast twitch and supposedly that means the heavier the exercise the better, then based on this what would be the best mix?
tounge.gif

I like to get my serratus going (so I use pullovers) other suggestions?

For the rest I use chins, I can do 15 with some minimal weight about 8 Kgs.

With underhand close grip I have done with 30 Kgs for 5's and it was heavy but fine. I also have used cable rows, single arm overhead/ double arm seated etc.

But somehow I need direction, suggestions?

An effective superset to hit all areas or a pre/posdt exahust routine that you feel really works would be what I am looking for.

Ciao

Here is what I do for my back routine. Seated row, pull-ups, then partial deads. This is especially effective when the loads are in the 10-5 reps range, especially on the deads. This takes my back thru pretty much every ROM with three exercises, saving the big back exercise for last when there will be more recruitment of the type II's (provided the load is enough).

Why partial deads? Also, how exactly do you do them? I can't find them at exrx.net.

Hioh Biz

Thank for the answers, I have read about heavy deads such as the ones you mention :D  

Dr. Columbu one of my all time favourites used to deadlift on the 350 - 400 Kg. range and his back was humongous
tounge.gif

I assume you are talking about as huge a volume as you can bear right?  :confused:  

Within that range of course, seeing that you mention best efficacy being between 10's and 5's :D

Don't you use pullovers at all? Or do you tackle your serratus with the pull ups, assuming underhand close or even wide grip to get to the serratus muscle properly :confused:  

Do I assume correctly? Thanks anyway mate, that is great info so far.
thumbs-up.gif

I don't pre-exhaust large muscles like back, chest and legs. I want to use as much weight as possible. My smaller muscles, such as Bi's, Tris and shoulders get pre-exhausted by the larger compound movements and, therefore, need little isolation work. I believe that pre-exhausint larger muscles has the reverse impact that people want. For example, if you do pec flyes for chest and then do bench presses, most of the bench work will have to be done by the triceps instead of the pecs which is not what you want to accomplish.

You can also try stiff arm lat pulldowns for the serratus but I would do them after I did my heavy weight back exercises.

Fausto-
I have used pull-overs and I like them, but not currently using them. Serratus are a non-issue for me. Good genetics. Partial deads are done from the rack. You set the pins just below your knee level and start the dead from there instead of from the floor. Allows you to use more weight and limits involvement of the legs and less strain on the lumbar.
In regards to what O&G mentioned about not wanting to pre-exhaust big muscles, that has never been an issue for me with deads as far as load is concerned, but that is just ME. If I do deads first or last, doesn't matter, I can lift the same weight, but when I do it last, I feel the load each and every rep.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneMoreRep @ June 23 2005,6:35)]Biz, i'm curious, what's your full workout look like?
This is my current routine (varies from time to time)

5x/week training
upper/lower/upper/lower/upper

upper (supersetting):
seated row / bench press
chins / flyes (slight incline)
partial deads / shoulder press (machine)
calf raise (leg press machine)

lower (no supersetting):
leg extension
squat
leg curl
back hyperextension
swiss ball crunch

no cardio right now, except once a week with one of my clients at the football stadium, mostly fartlek's

This is one thing I dont understand about the HST workout. How is doing just 1 exercise and 2 sets for a small muscle like your biceps sufficient, and doing maybe 1 or 2 exercises and 2 sets for a big muscle, like your back, also sufficient? Doesn't a bigger muscle need more training?

I have started the HST program and I like it a lot. But I'm a little worried that my back will also lag off. I do bent-over rows and lat pulldowns for my back. 2 sets on each exercise for every rep scheme.

HST is not a low volume training technique. It has about the same number of sets per bodypart as the more "traditional" one bodypart per day programs. It just reshuffles volume and frequency. The science behind HST has shown that mini-trauma more frequently is superior for hypertrophy than macro-trauma less frequently.

Yes, but a smaller muscle is still getting the same attention as the bigger muscle, even if the sets are being reshuffled. No?

Perhaps by some people, but not me. Many of my routines, which, by the way, are 80% compound movements, don't work the smaller muscles at all. When I do work the smaller muscles, my maximum sets per week would be 6. For larger muscles it would be about 12.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ June 24 2005,10:18)]Perhaps by some people, but not me. Many of my routines, which, by the way, are 80% compound movements, don't work the smaller muscles at all. When I do work the smaller muscles, my maximum sets per week would be 6. For larger muscles it would be about 12.
ditto for me

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ June 24 2005,8:18)]Perhaps by some people, but not me. Many of my routines, which, by the way, are 80% compound movements, don't work the smaller muscles at all. When I do work the smaller muscles, my maximum sets per week would be 6. For larger muscles it would be about 12.
Would you mind posting your routine?

Biz

This is turning out to be a very inetersting thread
happy.gif
and productive too!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Serratus are a non-issue for me.Good genetics.

One lucky bugger I guess, mine are not too bad, but certainly need some work, I find the pullover doing a part work onthe chest which is a welcoming engagement!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Partial deads are done from the rack. You set the pins just below your knee level and start the dead from there instead of from the floor.

Just like I thought, I shall do that as it gets heavier, as I am not doing the full deads any longer, my lower back started getting a hangover
laugh.gif
(LOL) from this, so I switched to stiff leg deads to engage the hams, but it might bemore benefitial to use for the back.

My legs are not exactly lagging and I am short 5'6" so I don't want "tree trunks" to walk on, just a nice set of pins with good definition.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In regards to what O&G mentioned about not wanting to pre-exhaust big muscles, that has never been an issue for me

Yah, well, I like to pre or post exhaust I find that it does it purpose, but we are all different and what is good for the goose in this case is not exactly whats good for the ganda.

Thanks for all the insight, pretty valuable by my standards :D

Nice short to the point workout BIZ, a lot of faith in HST for someone who competes out there! Very feww BB'ers will shorten their workout so, but it shows you know better.

After all we are not exactly part of the RAW or even WWE croud, more brawn than brains there, if you ask me!
laugh.gif
Still amusing to watch at times just for the hell of it
laugh.gif

Ciao

Back