Question for those extending 10's and 5's

laxstork

I want to try doing...

1week of 15's
3weeks of 10's
3 weeks of 5's
1week of negs

My question is how my increments should go

should my 10RM & 5RM be at the end of their 3rd week?

seems like my first week is going to be extremely light weight if i do it that way.

I obviously want to increase weight every workout right?

=\

Why not do 2 weeks of 10s and 4 weeks of 5s? That way you will stay at the heavier loads for longer and keep well ahead of RBE.

If I was to do 4 weeks of 5's, how would i break down each week? thats really what i'm trying to understand. where should my 5RM be, at the end of 4 weeks? or do 2 2week max sessions

Only increment once a week during the 5s. If you would normally have six days with six increments, you can space this out over 6 weeks by doing that. Then you can keep at your 5 RM for another couple weeks or try and push for new 5 RMs for a while. If you do it like this, you could manage to extend the 5s for much longer than 6 weeks.

Make sure you do the 2 weeks of 15s, don't scimp to get to the heavy weights quicker, and you'll be able to spend more time in the heavy weights later before your joints give out.

If you wanted to extend the 10s, again to spare your joints, you could do the 2nd week of your 10 weights again, those weights would still be heavy enough to keep you growing.

@peak power:do you mean the second week of 10s again or adding another week using your 10RM,that would sound much more logical to me....

cheers

Much of a muchness, no harm in zigzagging as long as the weights are heavy.

If its to spare your joints then its to spare your joints, otherwise no real benefit in it, might as well do 2 weeks of 15s, 2 weeks of 10s, and 4 weeks of 5s, then into post-5s (3s, negs, max-stim etc.)

Don't think in terms of reps, think of terms of the weight you are lifting that day, and the ideal rep range to get you to your target reps with that weight.

Back