Question on calves

Dvst8or

This is a quote from the FAQ

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
In general, calves will require greater loads, greater volumes, and greater frequency to equal the effects of a lesser amount of training on the chest for example.</div>

So does this mean the traditional HST approach won't be enough?

Would calves require higher reps than just 15,10, and 5?

And is there anyway to target the outside of your calves?  My inner calves seem to be growing faster then the outside portion?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian

Calves are used daily thus the reason they need extra work, but many of us don't bother with them, they get the work when doing squats/deadlifts.

If you really interested, you can use 25 - 30 reps, use a respectable load, like your deadlift load but still use progression as per HST.

Last...but not least...to work out the inside/outside of the calves you would use feet position facing in/out, apart from this a variety of standing calf work and sitting calf raise.

my 2cents.

calves and forearms are two areas in which genetics seem to play a large role. not to use this as a cope out but for most experimentation with any/all approaches is a good idea and if your lucky enough to find a routine that inspires growth.......go with it until it stops working.
form of course is key (and listening to your body) since those 2 areas get a good workout from daily life it usually requires serious wgt., freq. and /or volume over time before you see some gains.
look around, im sure you can spot plenty of folks with big calves or forearms who do very little and plenty who work out constantly with little to show for it (in those areas). you probably know by now which catagorie your in or lean towards. HST style is certainly an option to be tried but many find it &quot;not enough&quot; ,hence brians comment, but that doesnt include everyones exper.

good luck

<div>
(Fausto @ Sep. 06 2007,02:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">they get the work when doing squats/deadlifts.</div>
!!!!!!!!

<div>
(Fausto @ Sep. 06 2007,02:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you really interested, you can use 25 - 30 reps, use a respectable load, like your deadlift load but still use progression as per HST.</div>
When you say 25-30 reps are you referring to total reps or are you saying 2 sets of 25-30 reps?

Say like instead of 15, 10, 15 I would do 30, 27, 25 two sets of each?

I agree with Blue.

I am an advocate of heavy calf training. I don't go in for high reps. I don't see the point. The strain on my calves from running down the road is likely higher than a 30 rep set of calf raises.

I think heavy with more volume will get you results. Just don't compromise form and do reps that are a little more than a bounce reflex. Really get a good stretch in the lowest part of the movement.

When I had access to a machine leg press I got great results from doing negs for calves. I would press the weight onto my toes with both feet and then lower with one, alternating feet with each rep. I would do 20 positives with both feet and 10 negs with each per set. Three sets like that was all I wanted.

Jules had some advice for calf training in his Pimp My HST ebook. Basically he said start your calves off in the 10s rather than the 15s. Increase the loads each session and end your cycle with negs if you can. Certainly worked for me. I must get back into doing my calves regularly as I am one of those folks who was not genetically blessed in that department.

If you do go as heavy as 5s, you will need to do quite a few sets in order to get enough TUT. I reckon 4 should be a minimum once you have been working them consistently for a while.

The one thing to watch with heavy calf work is that you keep your form good. Make the muscle work and not the support structures. I learnt the hard way on a seated calf raise and sustained a minor tear in my calf when doing loaded stretches at the end of a set. I always hated seated calf raises and after that experience I don't do them anymore. I think that I get better results from standing raises anyway.

As Fausto mentioned, you can also get a good deal of calf stimulation from heavy squats and deads.

I just want to echo what Lol said about not bouncing. Go slow or even pause for a split second at the end of a rep so that you are not using momentum to bounce the weight up.

FYI about calve exercises - Seated only works the Soleus (inner muscle), whilst the standing or straight leg calf raise works both the gastroc (outer) and soleus. So completely agree with Lol.

Sorry to jump into the post with possibly common knowledge
biggrin.gif

Back