Question on Failure Sets

bosbik

Hi Guys!

I just want to ask a question on the Failure sets of the 2 week workout. Do I do all the exercise sets to failure?...Could you give me tips on how to do 'em?

Thanks

You should only be going to/near failure around once every two weeks, on the last day for each rep range.

ALL other sets should be submaximal, imho. Pushing to failure + training frequently = burn out quickly.

hey thanks mikey!..
biggrin.gif

I never train to failure, and my results have been great so far!

"Failure" should be a word that is deleted from everyone's vocabulary unless they are referring to an overt action taking by an enemy or competitor.
cool.gif

I don't train to failure often myself.

But training to failure isn't totally "evil" (or at all evil). It has benefits to strength (due to neural adaptation), so it can help. So if you can manage your training well while going to failure only on set dates (like the end of every 2 weeek block and you have good zigzag), then that may benefit you.

Regards,
-JV

like jv says failure has its place,but is to be used far less than most people suggest.

the myth lives on,i try and explain it sometimes and people just look at me like im an alien.
they dont believe you or just cant get it out of their mind set.

it can help lift endurance levels and can be used effectivley to increase strength but it is an hst trainers enemy for the most part due to the frequency we hit our muscles.

I have given up trying to explain it. I think most people learn to train off people who like to scream "COME ON! ONE MORE!" at each other and end up doing the same.
J  
biggrin.gif

Unless I am asked of course
biggrin.gif

Absolutely agree with you, guys. Just about everyone thinks that failure and "intensity" is what will make you bigger. Of course they can't back it up using logical arguments. Absolute exhaustion of the muscle once a week seems to be the norm for "advanced" lifters. As lcars said, the myth lives on...

Cheers,
Dimitris

Yeah, Mike Mentzer for one drove it into my head and a million other people that you can't grow without going to failure...of course he also started saying that you should only train a bodypart once/two weeks if you are advanced...thats about when I realized he was going crazy.

He was a great bodybuilder though and contributed alot to bodybuilding even if he was on the wrong track for awhile...RIP.

I'm with Mike on this, failure should only be touched (and I mean loosing form or slowing down quite a bit on the last rep of a set) once every two weeks at the end of each minicycle.

You have to ensure that you are:

1 - Eating properly and it must be quality intake.
2 - Have enough carbs at time of training.
3 - Are an advanced trainee and therefore will use it to his/her advantage.
4 - Have your training well planned and know the technique well enough.

thanks for the input guys!....i'd want to train to failure once every two weeks in the cycle (like what fausto described) so i get a strength work out at the same time...because i'm not just training for size but strength too...
biggrin.gif

Go ahead then, that's good
smile.gif

If you have zigzag, it would be a lot easier for recovery. Having no zigzag means you don't get even a short respite from the load.

I've had the problem with the advanced strength increases you mentioned, but you have to be wise about it and let a couple workouts go by before advancing your numbers, because....you might just be having a good day.
    As I'd mentioned in a thread I did about charting yourself with colored markers, I come close to failure here and there (indicated by a yellow dot: caution) and otherwise highlight my finished numbers with green. If I cannot do a final rep or more, I cluster them to get the workload done, mark a RED dot on that square and repeat the same weight next week, or until I can do it without clustering, rest-pausing, or poor form. Actually, NEVER USE poor form! Then I advance the number. I end up with a page full of green squares with some scattered yellow dots and an occasional red one. But my numbers just keep coming up and up.
So, in trying to keep my chart and workouts where I want them, I have had to add more to the charted weight if something was too easy halfway through the minicycle (15, 15, 5's...or 15, 12, 8, 6's as I did once)
    Don't forget ta EAT!    
rock.gif

Back