Hazard445

My routine is as followed-

Standard 15x1 10x2 3x5

Bench/dip
Squat/SLDL
Military press (standup push press)
BAckrows/chins
Some ab work

I was wondering if I should increase my volume, for example, I was given advice (forgot the person's name =/) to do a 15x2 3x10 and 6x5... I would love to get maximum hypertrophy potential, however, maintain a volume I can perform.

Would it be more ideal to do my standard one? or perhaps increase the volume, to maybe even the 30 rep per day one. The problem is I can't work out twice a day.

It is all in the FAQ!
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
So, should you increase, maintain or decrease &quot;volume&quot; as the cycle progresses? It depends! I know how many people hate to hear that...but its true. Here is how you decide. Keep in mind that these factors are to considered “collectively”, meaning each factor must be weighted, not taken as an absolute indicator.

Increase volume if:

You are never sore
You are never tired
You are not growing

Maintain volume if:

You are slightly sore most of the time
You are tired enough to sleep well, but not so tired you lose motivation to train.
You are noticeably “fuller”

Decrease volume if:

You are experiencing over use pain, and strain symptoms in joints and/or muscles.
You are tired and irritable all the time, yet don’t sleep well.
Strength levels are significantly decreasing.

I said, “The number of Sets is determined by the minimum effective volume (this changes over time according to current load and Conditioning.)&quot; You said, “I thought … that the expression of the hypertrophic genes was increased in proportion to time under tension, i.e. 'more is better' up to a rational point.”</div>

Those are good questions to ask yourself. If you want to increase the volume, do so gradually ie a cycle clustered to 20 reps, see how that goes then maybe one to 25........

Hope that helps.
biggrin.gif

Depends on many factors.

How long have you been working out?

How well are you conditioned?

Are you sore...are you growing on 20 reps?....if so why the need for more?

Are you eating enough?

Personally I like to do more than 20 reps...but thats me...however If I could get by on 20 reps or less I definatly would.

You got to first figure out what is enough and what is too much.

20 reps is a awesome starting point and normally its plently for most people.

Well..ive been working out for almost 2 years now. Ive gone from 125 lbs skinny scrawny 5'6&quot; to 180 5'7&quot; (omfg, squatting sure stunted my growth /sarcasm) I have been on and off different routines, but I noticed more strength routines (5 reps) with generally moderate volume (15 reps a day, 2 times a week) Gave me best results, but also plataeud.

How would I accomplish 20 rep a day volume on 15's?..just curious. What I think is I can perform a 20 or 25 rep volume cycle, then on my next cycle to increase 30, so my body can get that &quot;progression&quot; like volume, rather than start off high.

My advice

1 set of 15s go for the burn

2 sets of 10s

3 sets of 5's

The volume is not 100% constant but what you are wanting to do is just lift heavier and heavier every workout...hence (hst)

I would go more in depth but the truth be told if this is your first cycle of HST there is no need to get complicated.

2 cycles of something like that above and then you can move into a max-stim or cluster type hst routine.

I would do all of the above in compound format

Incline/dips
Squats/deads
Rows/chins
Presses

Go take a shower...rense and repeat.
laugh.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 07 2007,18:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">listen to Joe, he's a veteran HSTer. Also the keep it simple approach is usually better if you are new to HST.</div>
and that i shall do...I just wanted to know something.

How better is incline bench compared to flat? I had planned doing the flat in mind. Now of course increasing my incline bench strength would inturn increase my flat bench strength. I'm just not sure on my maxes on the incline bench. its a bit less than my flat bench, so I would need to find that out.

EDIT: forgot to mention the fact that I am having trouble calculating my increments for my chins. (Palms facing away, for lat stimulation) Can anyone advise me on how to incorperate this into the HST.

<div>
(Hazard445 @ Apr. 07 2007,08:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How better is incline bench compared to flat? I had planned doing the flat in mind. Now of course increasing my incline bench strength would inturn increase my flat bench strength. I'm just not sure on my maxes on the incline bench. its a bit less than my flat bench, so I would need to find that out.</div>
I prefer and I think a lot of others do as well a slight incline.

What I do is use and adjustable bench and I set it anywhere from 10 degrees to 15 degree...and perform dumbell bench press.

You will notice two things by doing this...one being that you will get and awesome stretch...which a lot of the HST veteran experts use to talk about (stretch point lifts).

Second it will SAVE your shoulders.

Bench press is generally very tough on the shoulder joints if you do them to many years!

Forgot to ask: Since I will be alternating squats and deads, which means I wil be squatting 3 times per one weight cycle (15's, 10's etc.) So should I make the incremeents like..

75-85-100 percent?

Well, I just got back from my first 15's workout!

Quite an...interesting 20 minute workout =/

I got monster pumped from everything, however, my rows really got my rear delts hit more than my lats, could this be because my grip is too narrow?

Also, Ive always wondered this about the bench press, should my palms be facing upward? or straight ahead?

Back