questions for HST

Fresh_Hex

hello all,
I was recently passed the book "The New Rules Of Lifting" which talked a great deal about the hypertrophy system. Upon futher research I found this gret forum board that had immense data about what this system was and everything about it. I've read into many peoples trainings log and I have used the search engine within this forum to look around before I ask my question. The "New Rules Of Lifting" book features 3 Hypertrophy routines (level 1-3). I'm 22 years old, 6ft tall, approx 170 pds and have been doing basic bodybuilding training since I was in highschool. I was wondering if I ran this hypertrophy routine that is in the book what it would do to my body? I'm looking to add on size but at the same time keep my endurance as I am training to futher my career within the military in the months to come. If needed I can type the routine that is in the book for review, and if I need to post any other information please let me know. My current goal is to get up to 190 pounds using this system.

thanks,

Hex

Last edited:
Fresh...welcome!

It would not be a bad idea to post the routine as I for one have no idea what's in the book, however I can tell you for starters you best off by doing a simplify and win type routine (go to the thread with this name and pick a routine there) and its not because I started it...no! Just I found that to work best if you are seruious about putting on some muscle mass with great strength as a side effect.

It would also leave you the required "space" for endurance training.

Cheers

I'll have to grab the book back from a friend to get the routine, I thought I had saved it on my computer but I guess it failed to save. Under that section, which thread would you recommend the most for me to look into?

Here is the routine that was put out in the book:

Workout A:
(Superset these two)
DB Incline Press
workouts 1, 4, 7, 10 5 sets, 5 reps, normal tempo, 90 second of rest
workouts 2,5,8,11 3 sets, 15 reps, normal temp, 30 seconds of rest
workouts 3, 6, 9, 12 4 sets, 10 reps, norm tempo, 60 seconds
Cable Seated Row
(superset these two)
DB Shoulder Press
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
(superset these two)
BB close grip bench press
High pull
swiss ball crunch 3,15,normal, 60 seconds

Workout B
Squat
workouts 1, 4, 7, 10 4 sets, 10 reps, normal tempo, 60 second of rest
workouts 2,5,8,11 5 sets, 5 reps, normal temp, 30 seconds of rest
workouts 3, 6, 9, 12 3 sets, 15 reps, norm tempo, 60 seconds
Dead Lift
(Superset these two)
Bulgarian Split Squat
Step Up
Reverse Crunch 3,15,normal, 60 seconds

The book lists this to do 4 times a week, but not working out for more than 2 days in a row.
The book also lists this as the routine to give you "the mirror muscles". Would this routine add size to me? I understand the who way that hypertrophy works its just I come from a background in which I work out all muscle groups, and am new to this change in routine. Though if you think this cycle isin't worth my time I'll just pull one from your section you mentioned.
Oh I was planning on doing this routine for 4 weeks and than taking a 5 day back and going into the Hypertrophy II routine.

Just do HST instead. That routine isn't bad, but... if I had to choose between that and the sample HST routine, I would do the sample HST routine.

I'm with Tot on this, much easier to hit the HST routine, besides it seems to have less consistency in its approach than the vaniall HST routine, else just pick one of teh routines on the simplify and win thread!

No we not being lazy...just trust us, you will be better off.

The main issue with that routine is that it seems to be just altering volume in possibly some sort of "muscle confusion" strategy, when it would be a lot more effective to manipulate and progress load like HST does in order to promote growth. But there are a few other issues with that routine as well aside from it not specifying load at all.

thanks for the advice, I will look into the simplify and win thread later today and find a routine that looks good to start off with.

Back