Quick question about day-to-day transitions...

MobHitman

If, for example, I don't have a good 15 max on curls or something (mine is 25 with dumbbells), how would I work in the 75-95%? For example, 95% of 25 is 23.75 and 90% is 22.5. Should I just do 20s for both of the workouts?

Once again, thanks in advance.

You need to gain some strength, if you have to do curls, then just do something like 2x8 with a BB and just keep adding weight every workout (add 5 lbs a w/o). Don't go to failure and if you can't make your reps as the weeks go by, then cluster to get them.

It sounds like you're new to lifting and should make good linear strength gains for a few months. If you are new to training, then you'd probably be better off doing a 3x5 (Rippetoe) for about 6 months and then start HST.

Also, if you do decide to stay right off with HST, you can use a BB or cambered bar for curls (if you MUST do curls) which would give you double the weight, and better opportunity to delineate the weights by percentages.

Are you doing the big four lifts? These will do you more good than anything.

Considering I don't know what the big four lifts are, I'm probably not doing them. What are they? Bench, squat, deads... ?

And some kind of row. See, you DID know!

As an alternate idea for your education, read the "simplify and win" thread. It will get your thinking straight for HST at it's best.

Back