Bench: 10*200, 10*200

Do this

Bench: 10*170, 10*180, 10*190, 10*200

Next time instead of

Bench: 10*205, 10*205

Do this

Bench: 10*175, 10*185, 10*195, 10*205

a.s.o

Lol. Why did you choose to call yourself King Grub?
biggrin.gif

I guess you are from Kolozzeum
smile.gif

I think I'd get tired out before reaching my working set. Then, you're only doing one working set. TUL is pretty important, and 10 reps at the working load seems like too little to me.

Maybe someone with a little more knowledge and experience will back me up, or explain that I'm wrong.

all you are doing is warm up sets..just do 1 warm up set and then your work sets,your on hst you cant overtrain if you do your maxes correctly
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I agree with Faz. You shouldn't be overtraining as you will be using sub-max loads for all but one of your w/os every two weeks. It is only once you have entered the post-5s that things get a little more brutal.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't drop any loads for work sets. However, sometimes during post-5s, when I'm pushing for new RMs, I might do this sort of thing:

Warm-ups then:
1st set, 5 x New RM,
2nd set, 5 x Previous RM,
3rd set, 5 x Previous RM

Assuming I get the new RM, I might do this the next w/o:
1st set, 5 x New RM,
2nd set, 5 x New RM,
3rd set, 5 x Previous RM

If that went OK I could then do:
1st set, 5 x New RM,
2nd set, 5 x New RM,
3rd set, 5 x New RM

So I'm not using the same load for all my worksets until I've worked up to 3 sets with my new RM. Then I might start the process again if my body was still coping OK.

<div>
(etothepii @ Oct. 19 2006,09:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think I'd get tired out before reaching my working set. Then, you're only doing one working set.</div>
I think that in the example he really has 4 working sets. I don't really think that progression of each set from workout to workout is as important as overall progression in the weights used over longer periods of time. Note that some use lots of zig-zag and reportedly get similar results to those who don't. Also note that the same weight can produce an effective stimulus for at least several weeks before RBE catches up.

However, as faz notes HST is set up to avoid overtraining, so I'd think that 2-3 sets at the max. would still be best.

I do think that at heavier weights like 5s and post-5s there might be some benefit to limiting sets at the heaviest weights and having some sets at less than the highest weight used in the workout. That way you get in more work but don't overtrain with too many sets at the max weight. At least that's sort of how some 5x5 routine variants seem to work.

Back