Rate my Excercises!

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_davie2k0
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_davie2k0

I am giong to find my 15RM today, what do you think about these?
1)Squat
2)Incl. Bench
3)Lat Pulldown
4)Shoulder Press
5)Straight Leg Dead Lift
6)Shrug
7)Calves (raises)
8)Biceps (Curls)
9)Triceps (Pressdowns)
10)Abs

Should i do Good mornings instead of SLDL and should i do Flat bench instead of Incline?

probably shouldnt do biceps or triceps until the 10s or 5s.
i think barbell rows are usually better for mass than lat pulldowns.
i would do dips or decline bench press instead of incline.
stick with SLDL but probably will have to cut it if your lower back gets too overworked during the heavier weight phases

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shwaym @ Aug. 15 2005,5:09)]probably shouldnt do biceps or triceps until the 10s or 5s.

i would do dips or decline bench press instead of incline.
Why not shwaym? :confused:

There has been a lot of recent talk about throwing out isolation movements, but they should still be in there at the end of a workout.

Good point about the dips though - they'll hit the chest and triceps really good.
thumbs-up.gif

-Colby

Actually, I would suggest swapping the lat pulldowns for chinups, rather than rows. I would add in bentover rows as well though.

I agree with using dips instead of incline, but disagree with using decline at all. I agree you may want to wait to do curls or triceps until the 10s, simply to make progression easier.

But that looks like a pretty solid setup. What are you going to do for abs? Weighted crunches or something?

I like the idea ofChin ups. For abs im going to do weighted crunches and some lower ab weighted movements. I don't think im giong to stick to the 15,10,5 thing for abs though.

Another question: I tried to find my 15 RM today and had some problems. For instance,
i thought that 205 would work for squats, but 205 was not too hard for 15, but i was too tired to go for 215. Should i just guess that 215 is the right amount? I had the same problem for Shoulder Press.

You can use 215, but if it's too heavy then you would need to stay at 215 until your strength increases.

You could use the 205 or even 210 and if it's too light increase it up the next workout (my recommendation).

so its not too bad if your a little conservative on your 15RM?

It's better to be a little conservative than try and load too much and not be able to complete the reps/sets.

The 15's are metabolically taxing. As your reps progress with a little lighter weight you can use tempo to make the lactic acid buildup occur, if the weight is too heavy then there isn't much you can do, you may reach fatique before actually stimulating lactic acid buildup.

So overall and generally speaking I would say yes.

Cool Thanks, i had to estimate with curls too, i got 70 20 times so im guessing my 15RM is about 80. (i used a calculator)

If the weight really does feel to light on your RM workouts, particularly in the 15`s you can make up for it a bit by going slower on the negative movement.

BTW, that workout routine looks very familiar
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (davie2k0 @ Aug. 15 2005,6:54)]For abs im going to do weighted crunches and some lower ab weighted movements.  I don't think im giong to stick to the 15,10,5 thing for abs though.
Yeah, I haven't even been doing abs on HST or at all during this cycle. I was going to try that Australian ABs matrix routine, but I got lazy. How do yins who do abs non-HST work them out around here?

-colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colby2152 @ Aug. 15 2005,6:23)]
wow.gif
9-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shwaym @ Aug. 15 2005,5
wow.gif
9)]probably shouldnt do biceps or triceps until the 10s or 5s.
Why not shwaym?  :confused:
simply because you do not really need to.
the core exercises should be your focus and will hit your arms anyway.
doing arms during the 15s add a ton of total reps which may or may not be too much volume.
its very hard to progress such light weights and you may get more growth out of direct arm work by waiting until the tens since they will not be as conditioned. just doing light weight increments with 15 reps may just simply condidtion the muscles of the arm and might make them less responsive to futrure training that would actually cause growth.

I wouldn't use isolatio until you get to the 5s, then use them for 5s and post 5s.

Instead of 2 sets of pulldown/chin ups...do a single set and a set of your favourite rowing exercise.

Likewise for incline bench - a single and a set of dips.

Or you could alternate per workout.

Back