Reading This Forum Confused Me On HST Workout

ZeroAkarui

Ok, I really hate to ask this question, as it is such a newbie question, but I just came back to HST after doing other stuff (not for size, HST is for size ^_^) and reading over this forum and what people say confused me.

When I did my first cycle, which gave me the best results, I basically did it by the book. Then I tried doing it without isolations, trying to condense the program. Didn't work as well. What confused me is people on here saying "Oh you're doing too much" when the person's workout is basically straight from the HST sample workout.

So I'm planning on starting another cycle after vacation. 15,10,5,5rm. The standard. I'm also planning on doing the workout basically straight from the sample workout, which is (showing the 10s for example):

10s (2 sets unless otherwise noted)
Squat (1 Set)
Stiff Legged Deadlift
Incline Bench
Dips (1 set)
Chin Ups
Bent Over BB Rows
Shrugs (1 set)
Seated Shoulder press (1 set)
Lateral Raise (1 set)
Rear Lat Raise (1 set)
Bicep Curls
Lying Tricep Extensions
Standing Calf Raise
Crunches

I'm doing 1 set X 15, 2x10, 3x5 (for the ones that don't say 1 set above). In the 5s, the ones above with (1 set) next to them will be (1-2 sets). By the way, I'm focusing on my upper body, my legs are fine as they are from kung fu, I feel my arms are out of proportion (much too skinny) with the rest of my body.

So here comes the newbie question: Is this truly doing too much? I see people saying it all the time, even though it's straight from the HST workout so I wanted a definitive answer. Thanks

My feeling is that you have too many exercises there. If you want to add size you won't really need to worry about doing three different shoulder exercises. You'll just be wasting valuable energy. Do standing shoulder bb presses instead of Seated Shoulder press, Lateral Raise & Rear Lat Raise.

I would do this:

Squat
Stiff Legged Deadlift
Incline Bench
Bent Over BB Rows
Dips
Chins
Shrugs
Standing Shoulder press
Standing Calf Raise

For 10s do 2 sets of each. If you want to reduce volume for some of the exercises then, for example, you could do 2 sets of dips and 1 set of presses one session and then 1 set of dips and 2 sets of presses the next. I would just do 2 of each as they'll give your arms a really good workout which will reduce the need fore isos. However, what is too much for one person may not be for another. For 5s try for 3 sets but drop to 2 if you are taking too long or feeling too tired.

I have found that as I get stronger (after 3 cycles) I am having to reduce the number of my exercises, by removing arm isos, just to be able to maintain enough energy to complete my w/o. The volume that was easy when I started is now much harder to sustain. I don't really want to drop the arm isos but I just run out of steam by then.

Add the isos in if you have time at the end and still feel the need. You could do your crunches on your off days.

Volume is dictated by your tolerance and recovery capabilities. If you can do the volume prescribed by the original routine and not have any detrimental effects, i.e. loss of strength, prolonged recovery, etc..., then go with it. It produced the best results for YOU the first time around, while other guys have found the original routine too grueling and unproductive. It's a matter of preference... Gotta eat big on that original routine for sure.

Alright, thanks guys. I'm going to do what Lol said and swap out the shoulder exercises for the shoulder press, and go with what Biz eluded to with keeping basically the sample workout, making sure to eat a lot.
Thanks

Back