Really confused about drop sets...

Pikehunter

I have the FAQ book which has a section near the end on drop sets. To me, it's confusing. It states:

"All the reps performed, including the work reps, should reach about 15-20 to create a real metabolic environment inside the cell...".

I don't understand this. Isn't that the rep volume range achieved by the normal use of the HST program
(5 reps X 3 sets=15, 10 reps X 2 sets=20 or 15 reps X 1 set=15)?

Using this guideline, drop sets wouldn't need to be used to achieve higher volume because you've already reached what is recommended above to create a "metabolic environment" (15-20 reps). Any help? Really confused.

Last edited:
I have the FAQ book which has a section near the end on drop sets. To me, it's confusing. It states:

"All the reps performed, including the work reps, should reach about 15-20 to create a real metabolic environment inside the cell...".

I don't understand this. Isn't that the rep volume range achieved by the normal use of the HST program
(5 reps X 3 sets=15, 10 reps X 2 sets=20 or 15 reps X 1 set=15)?

Using this guideline, drop sets wouldn't need to be used to achieve higher volume because you've already reached what is recommended above to create a "metabolic environment" (15-20 reps). Any help? Really confused.

The example being used for that quote is for an imaginary trainee in his 5 rep series.

So, let's say he does his 3rd set of 5 reps for bench press. And to further clarify, let's say this is session #4 of the 5s. He is working with 90% of his 5RM. Let's say his load for this session is 160lbs. Immediately after completing that 3rd set of 5, he strips 10lbs off and does a set of 4. He stopped at 4 because he is still fatigued from the last set of 5 at 150lbs. He then immediately strips off another 15 lbs and hits 7 reps (with little or no rest). He is spent at this point and moves on to his next exercise.

So, between the last 5 rep work sets and 2 drop sets, he has 15 reps total. No rest between sets - or very little rest (since you may be training solo and have to rest as long as it takes to strip the weight). The absence of rest is what makes it a metabolic environment.

Ok, so the 3X5 (15) is a 'given' for the normal HST workout and then the stripped drop set work that immediately follows the last of the 3X5 are additional reps that are added on, right? So, the TOTAL for the whole execise example would be 3X5 (15) + 4+7 = 26 total reps w/ drop sets included?

I think the piece you quoted was assuming one working set. Remember, part of the original recommendation of HST was to only use 1 working set during the last week of 10s and last week of 5s.

I think the piece you quoted was assuming one working set. Remember, part of the original recommendation of HST was to only use 1 working set during the last week of 10s and last week of 5s.

Ahhhhh. Did not know that. Makes sense now. Thank you very much.

Personally, I would recommend against drop sets. When that was written, it was in the early 2000s and we didn't have the research available to us that we have now. I think there are other options available to us now that are superior to doing drop sets.

I do one lighter higher-rep metabolic set for each exercise I do during 5s. It's not essential for triggering a PS response in the working muscles as the heavy loads should have done that; it's more to do with keeping your muscle glycogen levels topped up, which gives you that fuller look and feeling.

If you don't do any metabolic work you might find you start to feel a little 'flat' compared to how you felt during 15s and 10s. There's no need to go to failure or stress your CNS too much. Just bang out a set of 10-15 reps with a load that makes it reasonably hard and which gets a good burn going.

Personally, I would recommend against drop sets. When that was written, it was in the early 2000s and we didn't have the research available to us that we have now. I think there are other options available to us now that are superior to doing drop sets.

What do you consider a better alternative than drop sets?

What is inferior about them - is it because you end up dropping the weight down to a load that is not productive for growth? And/or because fatigue training is just hard on the CNS and therefore, less productive?

I've never employed drop sets as a method, I just wondered what your thoughts were on the subject.

I just feel it is too much fatigue build up for not enough of a pay off. You can do as Lol as suggested and just add some metabolic work without having to push to failure over and over like on a dropset. I would strongly prefer that method over dropsets. Also, generally, dropsets will waste you for the rest of the workout if you have any exercises involving any of the muscles used in the lift you just did dropsets with.

Back