Reasons to keep a few in the tank

Peak_Power

This is partly in response to Matty19's post, "How Am I Supposed To Feel?", but I've also been thinking about this for my own workouts so I thought I'd post it more generally for everyone to read and comment on.

A lot of people, including myself, came from 3 or 4 day split programs, believing failure is necessary for growth etc. I used to do a 4 day split, and on a bodypart I'd do 3 exercises of 3x10, each set to voluntary strength failure (loss of form, HST style failure), then I'd do several drop sets to absolute failure (HIT style failure), believing you had to "fatigue" the muscle to get it to grow. Man I was sore for at least 3 days afterwards.

Now when I do 15 reps per bodypart 3x per week, its hard when I'm doing it, but afterwards I feel great, and spend the rest of the day not sore. I've noticed on most days I lift, I could do more if I wanted to do. Psychologically, I feel I should do more, just like matty19 said in his post, but there are some very good reasons why you should leave some in the tank:

Fatigue is cumulative. Over a period of 8-10 weeks, with ever increasing weights, the fatigue builds up, and you really start to notice it. You leave some in the tank, and you can extend your cycle, which will result in more growth.

But more importantly, imo:

Why do we lift to get strong if we walk around weak and sore all day?? I remember when I was on the 4 day split, for 3-4 days out of the week I was either too sore to lift anything heavy in real life, or I didn't want to lift anything heavy cause I was "recovering" for the workout. Lets say your friend asks you to help move furniture. Goddamn its painful with DOMs, and do you really want to say to him "sorry, I did a heavy chest set yesterday, so I don't want to ruin my recovery".

I've said this before.

I find with HST, I always have enough strength on off days to be able to do things, even lift weights again since I'm a fitness instructor and need to demonstrate an exercise by lifting weights. I still grow, I still get stronger, but without the DOMs and need for recovery that high volume programs require.

*I'm talking about when I'm bulking, obviously now I'm cutting and its taking its toll on my physically.

Why do we lift to get strong if we walk around weak and sore all day??  Heheh, to FOOL people!  
laugh.gif

You made a great point, and the submax system rocks for functional strength and growth, despite the continuing tendency to GO for it in a set.
I just met a contract inspector I haven't seen in a few months and he said, "Hey, what happened to you, boy?" A guy my age impressed and calling me 'boy' just made my day! I'm five lbs heavier but he said I look like 20. Admittedly, I've been 8-9 weeks on the 5x5 strength training, but HST is the base for size.
I've been doing arms once a week, to failure and they look great. If I were doing them more per week I'd not go to failure. I'm up to a zigzag due to your 'cumulative fatigue' and hope to get another couple weeks before deload and return to HST with my new twist.
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....9;st=20
Post 33 and on.

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Feb. 22 2007,19:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why do we lift to get strong if we walk around weak and sore all day?? I remember when I was on the 4 day split, for 3-4 days out of the week I was either too sore to lift anything heavy in real life, or I didn't want to lift anything heavy cause I was &quot;recovering&quot; for the workout. Lets say your friend asks you to help move furniture. Goddamn its painful with DOMs, and do you really want to say to him &quot;sorry, I did a heavy chest set yesterday, so I don't want to ruin my recovery&quot;.</div>
haha, I just recently experienced that.  I helped my brother in law move some furniture into his new house and I was incredibly weak.  Lower back, hamstrings, and even my glutes were just too sore to lift much.  He even made the comment &quot;why is your big ass so weak ?&quot;  Rather than going through some long explanation, I just pretend to be lazy and laugh at him, so you just have to accept certain things with hard training and take it in stride. I'm in a high volume phase of my workouts and the recuperation will begin a little over one week from now.

If you're really pushing yourself to grow or get stronger (whatever you're ambition is), you're going to be beaten down at some point before you revitalize.  Don't remember where I got this (might be this forum), but it's good reading:  http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/PlannedOvertraining.html

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Feb. 22 2007,22:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Quad are you doing around 75 reps per week per muscle group?</div>
Exactly. Using 5x5.
90 reps or more for HST.
On my new proposed HST method, it's still 90.

Good post Peak.

One of the reasons I switched to alternating deads a squats was because when I was doing them both three times a week my lower back was pretty much useless for anything outside of the gym.

I am renovating an old Victorian property right now and need functional strength. Having a useless lowerback is just terrible for most types of lifting or even just bending! Alternating these two lifts allows me to function well for most of the time. I'm sure I could make better progress if I did them both more often (with reduced volume each session) but I need to live outside of the gym too.

I have read that article before about planned overtraining:
Dual-factor theory....Most successful strength training programs are built on this idea.  In fact Madcow praises HST for being the only bodybuilding 'dual-factor' program even though that wasn't Bryan's intention.

A good example of dual-factor is Korte's powerlifting program...4 weeks of heavy volume/lighter loads, then 4 weeks of light volume/heavier loads.  These 'waves' in a training cycle are supposed to help cause strength adaptations.  Kind of like the 15s/10s and 5s in HST.

Back