Reduce frequency with increasing load?

Datoyminaytah

Has anyone tried modifying their workout frequency with HST, something like...

15's - 4 x week (at least 36 hours apart)
10's - 3 x week (at least 48 hours apart)
5's and negs - 2 x week (at least 72 hours apart)

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Dec. 01 2006,10:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I do the reverse.</div>
What is your logic for this?

<div>
(Datoyminaytah @ Dec. 01 2006,12:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Old and Grey @ Dec. 01 2006,10:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I do the reverse.</div>
What is your logic for this?</div>
It is similar to the same logic that people use for increasing the number of sets as load increases to somewhat equalize the total number of reps. If your workout consists of just 1 exercise (for simplistic example only), many people will do the following:

15 Reps...1 Set
10 Reps... 1.5 or 2 Sets
5 Reps...3 sets

The total volume is similar.

This can also be done by increasing the number of workouts per week:

15 Reps...2 workouts
10 Reps...3 workouts
5 Reps...4+ workouts

What you are suggesting is the opposite. That is, decrease the total number of reps as you increase load. Assuming that your rep speed stays constant, the 15 rep workouts will be 3 times as long as the 5 rep workouts. What most people believe is necesarry for hypertrophy is to keep the Time under Tension about equal.

A third alternative to keep TUT constant is to use different tempos. For example:

15 reps...2 sec concentric 1 second eccentric (45 Secs)
10 reps...2 &quot; 2 &quot; (40 Secs)
5 reps...2 &quot; 5 &quot; (35 Secs)

While the above is not perfect, it gets the TUT fairly consistent. The pitfall with the third method is that it necessitates one to work at somewhat lower loads than if they kept the tempo the same. This may not impact hypertrophy but it surely will impact your CNS and, in particular, your concentric strength.

Of course, if you don't believe that TUT is important to muscle growth, the above would not be considered relevant.
smile.gif

I was just coming her to say that I have found that now that I am in the 5s and I am streatching them as long as I can, I need 72 hours to recover. Granted I am real close to or at my 5 rep maxes right now so that may be the reason. Early on in the 5's the extra rest wasn't an issue.

I think the key here is to listen to your body and adjust. What works for O&amp;G or me may not work for you. So start with basic HST and after a few cycles, feel free to adjust as needed.

<div>
(Spyke @ Dec. 01 2006,13:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think the key here is to listen to your body and adjust. What works for O&amp;G or me may not work for you. So start with basic HST and after a few cycles, feel free to adjust as needed.</div>
That is the best advice anyone new to HST could recieve.
cool.gif

I agree listen to your body first, but apart from that everyone should do at least 2 cycles of Vanilla HST before making adjustments.

Spike, O &amp; G and Peak are all zeroing in on the essential.

Don't even consider tweaks before you know what HST is all about, and that not just in theory but in practice specially!
wink.gif

Back