Rep Changes next cycle

quadancer

I'll take either 6 or 7 days off...and maybe start with 15 or 14 rep workouts. Maybe go 14, 12, 10, 8, and 6? That way I'd have a long gradual curve into strength and my mainstay of growth would be thru the center 3 sections, giving me an extra two weeks in the best phases for me. I seem to respond best to 12 thru 8 rep stuff, so that schedule would maximise it for me.
If I were more respondent to highrep stuff I'd suggest a 15, 13, 12, 8 and 6 and if I responded to lowrep better, I'd do a 10, 8, 6, and 4 rep setup. Waddaya think? That's not tweaking it too far from the tree is it?

no but you might have trouble finding your maxes as they will be closer together,and the increments will be smaller..but if its strength you want then that way is probably better
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Secondaly, using new RM's each week means you will be working with your maxes more often, this can lead to fatigue hitting you upside the head sooner. In untrained lifters who's strength will be drastically changing, it probably won't hurt anything, but to a trained lifter in who it may takes weeks for new PR's then going to max RM so often could make a difference.

You'll just have to try and see.

Darn, I hadn't thought of that - I'm more into hypertrophy than strength as I feel I'm strong enough...just hit 500 for smith-type squats and 600 for shrugs (6 rep sets) and I'm happy with all except for my ever-weak benching. So then it looks like back to the stock spread perhaps, although I did grow on this cycle of 15, 10, 8, 6. I may do this again, only eat cleaner. Maybe a 15, 12, 9, 6 spread, so the jumps are even?

Back