Rep Speed for RM's

payton1221

This website has taught me the value of the eccentric part of the exercise. I used to be so focused on counting lbs or reps, that the eccentric was only necessary so that I could do another rep! Now, I'm much more deliberate about lowering the weight.

When one determines their RMs (15RM, 10RM, and 5RM), should the max be based on a normal rep speed? By "normal", I mean a slow (~2 seconds +/-) eccentric part?

Payton1221

I'd say so, yes. Technically speaking, you may want for effectiveness sake and to make 15's and 10's a little harder and more worth the effort, slow reps down a little.

However when hitting the heavies, the RM will naturally slow with fatigue, one should though try to keep a certain rhythm, obviously within reason but if this rhythm is affected severely, then either the weight is too heavy or fatigue has set in, in which case one would either lower the weight or increase the rest so as to cope better, keep efficiency and maintain good form!

In an ideal situation one would endeavour to keep a slow eccentric rep speed, but this can become a bit of an oximoron! ;)

Back