replacement Exercises

right I don't go with a training partner and I can do only 10 pullups what's good replacement? Close grip lateral pull down?

Also I really struggle with Squats I cannot seem to keep my balance properly, is it ok to do these on a smith machine?

Personally you couldn't pay me to squat on a smith machine. There is to much of a chance for injury in my opinion. That being said, if you feel comfortable doing squats on a smith machine then it could be a viable alternative until you improve your free weight squat form. But you should continue doing lighter free weight squats until you get your form down and then start doing them regularly with the heavier weights.

I have seen the book "Starting Strength" recommended by many people. I plan on picking it up myself and would recommend it to you as well if you are having problems with form on the core lifts. Do a search on Amazon.com and read the reviews and decide for yourself if it is something that might help you.

That's my 2 cents on smith machine squats.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have seen the book &quot;Starting Strength&quot; recommended by many people. </div>

Thanks for the reminder Bulldog! I too had seen and heard about this book but never got around to getting a copy. I just checked on Amazon and it's $30 with free shipping- just ordered it. (sorry for the shill, but it does look like a good book especially for diagnosing and remediating core lift troubles)

<div>
(187 @ Jan. 19 2007,08:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">right I don't go with a training partner and I can do only 10 pullups what's good replacement? Close grip lateral pull down?

Also I really struggle with Squats I cannot seem to keep my balance properly, is it ok to do these on a smith machine?</div>
Every person has their unique groove with a squat. The smith machine might agree with your groove or not, it's a toss up. You should be able to tell soon. If you have one of those smith machines that have lateral rods that move back and forth to adjust to your groove, then those are pretty safe for all squatters. The ones that have the rods in a fixed position are the ones that may or may not work for you.

i'm just thinking of a quick fix so I can get into my cycles again....its gonna take me a while to learn how to correctly squat........

Would a leg press be ok?

the only way you're going to improve your form is to practice. I'd recommend using light weights (it's probably only for a cycle or 2) rather than a different exercise when what you say you realy want to do is squats. another decent guide is McRobert's Insiders Guide to Weight Training Technique.

you don't necessarily need a replacement for chins, either. you could do pulldowns as a sort of drop set after your chins, do negatives, cluster, etc.

You will not regret getting Starting Strength. It will set you up for a lifetime of correct lifting. Learning to squat properly is essential if you want to fully benefit from the exercise.

I second what Batman says, Smith squats are not a choice for me at all.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">right I don't go with a training partner and I can do only 10 pullups what's good replacement? Close grip lateral pull down?</div>

10 pullups is a good start, so during 15's do 10 + 5 and you are done, during 10's you are in the game, on the second week include some extra weight.

During 5's increase the weight progressivelly, during negatives, use a bench tp pull yourself up, then resist the downward movement (a negative)...voi-la you're in the game.
biggrin.gif

For squats this may be able to help out, download it by copying to a word doc and go read it:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Experiments in the Gym - The Squat
by Bill Piche  From Hardgainer #57 - November/December 98'
When you walk into most commercial gyms, the piece of equipment with the most dust on it is the squat racks, if they even have them. There will be plenty of people performing the bench press. Numerous men will be pumping their biceps and chests with visions of Arnold and bulging arms dancing in their heads. Most of the women will be off in a room where there is an abundance of aerobics devices or “only machines” to “tone and shape.” After all, squats make you sweat and sweat smells. We sure wouldn’t want to stain the new muscle shirt, right?
What’s wrong with this picture? The squat, one of the most effective exercises for gaining muscle, is often avoided like the plague. When I first started lifting, I was only interested in a bigger chest and arms. I did make some gains in bodyweight, but I wasn’t going anywhere fast. Then I saw an issue of the magazine Powerlifting USA. The powerlifters in the magazine were massive. The squat had to be a staple in their training programs. I didn’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out. I started squatting and my bodyweight zoomed! I was hooked for life.
In the years following, I have experimented in the gym to push my squat to a poundage I only imagined when I was a chest and arm pumper. This article provides the results of my experiments.

SETS, REPS &amp; FREQUENCY
When I first started squatting, my training in terms of sets, reps, and frequency was dictated by what I read in magazines about the training routines of powerlifters. I was again reading about the “genetic wonders” that could probably use any routine and gain. For many years I was squatting too often, performing too many sets, and using too low a rep range.

Sets
When I decided to become a powerlifter, I learned that as a powerlifter you didn’t perform a lot of sets—that was for the bodybuilders. At the time, five seemed to be the magic number for power, and since I was a powerlifter, my first squat routine consisted of five sets of five reps. I always felt like I was holding back in order to complete the five sets. I hated to hold back. The only way to fix this was to drop to 1–2 sets. I finally settled on one “all out” set. This was one of the few good decisions I made when I first started powerlifting.
One set of squats will definitely get the job done. If you want to perform a second set of squats, you’re either using too low a number of reps or you’re holding back when performing the first set.

Repetitions
My experiments with rep ranges were limited for many years because I was stuck in a 5-rep rut. The notion that you use light weights for high reps was prevalent in my thinking. Injuries finally forced me to experiment with higher rep ranges. The first time I did an intensive set of 20 reps in the squat, I thought I was going to die. After this experience, the thought of someone squatting 400 for 20 reps quickly squashed the notion of “light weights and high reps.”
Too many people train like competitive lifters and use heavy weights for low reps. I consider the squat to be the most dangerous of the powerlifts when using heavy weights for low reps. Even competitive lifters should limit the use of heavy weights for low reps. A rep range between 10–20 is safer, easier on the joints, and for most people is more effective than using heavy weights and low reps. Just like with the bench press, I have never been injured using this rep range.

Frequency
When I first started squatting, I squatted twice a week. If I was sore or stiff, it didn’t matter, I squatted anyway. As a squat rookie, I got away with this for a while—my gains were steady. My gains then dried up. What was wrong?
Then I read somewhere that if you’re still sore and stiff, your muscles are not recovered. This made sense. If you’re still sore and stiff, then your muscles have not had enough time to get bigger and stronger after the stress from the workout. This made so much sense that I switched to squatting once per week. I started gaining again.
Later, I found that extra time is usually needed after the soreness and stiffness subsides. In fact, at times I have taken more than six days between squat workouts with favorable results. Some hard gainers may find squatting every 8–10 days to be more effective.

TECHNIQUE
The squat was and always has been the most difficult for me to use proper technique on. I studied the superstar powerlifters, often trying to mimic their technique hoping it was the secret to the big squat. Most of these superstars where genetically suited for the squat. I was an apple and they were oranges, and I was comparing myself to them. Not everyone is built to squat well. For some people, squatting may put them in a precarious situation where injury is very likely. In this case, the squat should not be performed. My training partner was 6-2 with a short torso and long legs. No matter how hard he tried, his squats looked more like good mornings. He continued to perform the squat because he was competing in powerlifting. If he was an athlete who was strength training for another sport, the squat would not be a good choice on his workout card.

Squat depth
An inch is a mile when it comes to squat depth. I learned this the hard way. In my first powerlifting contest, I bombed. The term “bombed” means I failed to make any of my three squat attempts, and was disqualified from the contest. The reason: squat depth. I didn’t go low enough. I should have known I was doomed when an experienced lifter in the warmup room commented, “Better find some depth, buddy!” In my next contest, I made a legal squat almost 100 pounds less. An inch is a mile when it comes to squat depth.
I got caught in trap of “phony squat gains.” What is a phony squat gain? It’s when a lifter adds weight to the bar over time and slowly decreases his squat depth. This is a very easy trap to fall into. For most, a good target depth is where the tops of the thighs are in line with where the hip joint bends. A word of caution: if you can’t reach this depth without rounding your low back, don’t go this low. In fact, your lower back should never round at the bottom of a squat. With some flexibility work you may be able improve your depth.

Bar low or bar high?
There are basically two places where you can place the bar—on top of your deltoids, or just below the top of the deltoids. With the bar on top of your deltoids (bar high), you have to squat in a more upright position. For most, this position is also harder and less weight can be used. A plus is that it is easier to perform high-rep squats because you don’t have to fight to keep the bar on your back. A minus for some lifters is that it can cause knee soreness. When I was competing, I experimented with bar position for the sole purpose of increasing my squat. Comfort wasn’t a factor in my decision, so I put the bar as far down my back as physically possible within the rules of powerlifting (approximately one inch below the top of the deltoid, as perceived by the judges). I could use more weight, but it was very hard on my wrists, elbows, and biceps. I think the best solution is using a bar position that is the most comfortable and doesn’t hinder the experience of 20-rep (or higher) squats.
Very importantly, the bar should never be positioned so high that it jams up against your neck. The bar should never be positioned direct on the vertebrae. If in doubt, position the bar a little lower, not higher.

Wide or narrow stance?
For squat stance, I immediately fell into the myth that “a close stance builds the quads” while “a wide stance gives you a big butt and hips.” So, I started squatting with a close stance. My feet were well inside shoulder width apart. I certainly didn’t want get big hips and ruin my future Mr. Champion Bodybuilder v-taper! Once I decided to be a powerlifter, I switched to a wide stance. In fact, I went as wide as possible because I read that the wider you could go, the less distance the bar had to travel, and the more weight you could lift.
If you have too close a stance, the exercise ends up being more of a good-morning than a squat. A close stance made my knees sore. An overly wide stance may also cause knee problems and may generate some rather painful groin tears if your body is not suited for such a stance. An indicator for too wide a stance is when the ankles are outside of the knees in the bottom position of a squat. You should stay away from the extremes. You will have to experiment to determine the safest and most comfortable stance for you. When making stance adjustments, don’t worry about the amount of weight—concentrate on technique with the adjusted stance. Otherwise, you’re risking injury. I speak from experience since I have had both groin pulls and knee strains. A stance where your heels are slightly wider than shoulder width apart is a good place to start.
For foot position, a slightly toes-out foot position is a good place to start—a minimum of 25–30 degrees flare. See Stuart’s THE INSIDER’S TELL-ALL HANDBOOK ON WEIGHT-TRAINING TECHNIQUE for illustrations of correct and incorrect stances. Some people need to turn out their toes more than do others. Experiment! Once you find a stance that is comfortable for you, stick with it.

Fast or slow?
Don’t let anyone tell you that you have to lift weights “fast” to be fast. If you aren’t wired anatomically to be fast, trying to explode the bar won’t make you faster. You must be in control of the bar at all times. Smooth and controlled is the way to go for your lifting longevity. At the other end of the spectrum, I have tried slow squats and found that it was hard to maintain proper position. A key point is to avoid rapid accelerations, and not just in the squat but all exercises.

To failure or not?
When I first started powerlifting, my training partner and I would perform a squat set until we had to be helped to the top on the last squat rep. Often, we would have to “catch” each other from smashing into the ground with the weight after failing. This was stupid—plain and simple. This becomes even more dangerous when you don’t have competent spotters. My definition of failure is now “the point in a set where one more rep cannot be completed while using the best technique possible.”

Equipment
The only equipment you need for the squat is a pair of sturdy flat-soled shoes. The shoes should have no heel elevation relative to the front of the sole, and the soles should be solid, not spongy and soft. I’ve always used basketball high tops, but they have to be good ones. There is no heel, but good arch support. I also like good support on the outside—leather and stiff too.
At one point, I wore a lifting belt for every exercise. I found that when squatting and deadlifting the belt allowed me to lift more weight—to demonstrate strength. For other exercises, it was the equivalent of window dressing. I used the belt as a crutch. I now view the lifting belt as an artificial aid to lift more weight in the squat and deadlift. I also found the belt restricted my breathing when performing high-rep squats. There is no need to wear a lifting belt.
Knee wraps have no place in training and are another means to demonstrate strength, not build it. Even competitive powerlifters should limit the use of wraps to just prior to a contest, should they decide to use them at all.

SQUAT ASSISTANCE EXERCISES
Many lifters use the word “assistance” in the sense that they believe other exercises will somehow magically “assist” and hence directly increase their poundages in the squat, bench press, and deadlift. If you aren’t training the squat, bench press, or deadlift hard with proper technique, there are no other exercises that will provide instant gains on those lifts. The fact is, if you’re training hard using the powerlifts, little if any extra work is necessary. For the remainder of the articles in this series, I will refer to these other exercises as “foundation exercises.”

Partial squats
The lure of handling big weights in the partial squat made this exercise one of the first I experimented with. As I stated previously, “an inch is a mile” when it comes to squat depth. In my book, partial squats are nothing but an ego booster. There was no carryover from partial squats to my regular full squat. Some lifters perform partial squats and call them full squats because they can use what I call the “minimum macho poundage.” The minimum macho poundage is three 45-pound plates on a side. I’ve seen lifters put on knee wraps, do a disco dance getting set into position, and then proceed to dip a whopping two inches while letting out blood curdling screams. This is certainly not effective training.

The Smith machine squat
I always wondered about the Smith machine. Why use a regular Olympic bar locked into a vertical track? The body certainly doesn’t work that way. I tried the Smith machine squat once for a set, and it was very unnatural and awkward. In addition, I felt it in all the wrong places—my lower back and knees. If your gym has one, use it to hang your towel on, not to squat.

Hack squats
Pump those quads! Hack squats will give you a “super thigh sweep” and develop those lower quads. It sounded good to me. I had to try hack squats because it worked for Mr. Champion Bodybuilder. I was a powerlifter, but I was also a “closet bodybuilder.” At the gym where I trained, they had a hack squat machine and after using the machine for a few weeks the only thing I got was very sore knees. Avoid hack squats.

Leg presses
As I stated in a previous article, I believe most leg press machines are lower back death traps. I have used various leg press machines and I was lucky not to have suffered a lower back injury. My wife, however, was not as fortunate. She now has a life-long lower-back problem because of an injury suffered by using the classic 45-degree plate-loading leg press machine. If you can use significantly more weight on the leg press machine than you can squat, I would be leery of using that particular machine.

Leg extensions
All I can say here is “why bother?” I’ve performed leg extensions only to prevent atrophy when I’ve been injured and could not squat. If you’re performing an all-out set of 20-rep squats, what can leg extensions add?

Ball squats
Matt Brzycki, strength coach at Princeton University, told me about ball squats after he trained in the Penn State football weight room with Penn State strength coach John Thomas. The first time I performed ball squats, I knew they were a winner. The following days after performing ball squats my knees and lower back felt great and my legs were really blasted.

To perform ball squats, a smooth unobstructed wall is needed. You stand up straight and put a medium-size, pliable ball behind your lower back against the wall. By “pliable,” I mean such that you can easily depress your fingers into the ball. The ball should be approximately 26 inches in circumference. A basketball is probably too big, unless it is severely deflated. A deflated soccer ball would be better.
Your feet should be placed to duplicate the position used to perform the barbell squat, especially the amount of forward movement of your knees in the bottom position. Slowly lower your hips until the tops of the thighs are in line with where your hip joint bends. Pause briefly in the bottom position and slowly return to the starting position. Most of your bodyweight should be centered on your heels.  
Don’t lean too hard on the ball; it’s not a crutch. The ball travels along the groove between the erectors during the squatting motion. It does not travel very far up and down the groove in the back. If you lean too hard on the ball with your feet too far in front of you, the movement can turn into a hack squat. Don’t bounce in the bottom position. The knees should not lock or “snap” when returning to the starting position.
You can add resistance by holding dumbbells or by adding weight around your waist using a belt. I started using ball squats in my leg routine as a “finisher.” However, the movement felt so good that I decided to use it as my primary leg exercise because, unlike regular squats, ball squats removed the stress on my lower back.
I use a leather dip belt to add weight. I found that when I out-gained my dumbbells and started using 45-pound plates, my range-of-motion was hindered. I built wooden platforms to stand on when performing the movement, so that the weights would not hit the floor. Another problem I encountered was the chain tearing into my inner thighs. A couple of old towels underneath the chain solved this problem.
You may find your breathing awkward at first because there is no pressure on your torso like with regular squats. Avoid the temptation to speed up the positive part of the movement. Ball squats are also well suited for performing very slow reps. After all these years, my legs have never been bigger and my lower back has never felt better.

THE FINAL WORD
When I started performing squats, my bodyweight soared. Squats performed in a controlled manner with proper technique are one of the most effective exercises, period. To summarize:

1. One all-out set of squats will get the job done. If you want to perform a second set of squats, then you’re likely pacing yourself and wasting time.

2. Don’t train like a competitive lifter and perform low reps. High-rep squats (10–20 or more) are safer and easier on the joints.

3. If you’re truly putting forth the effort when squatting, there is no reason to perform the movement more than once a week. For some hard gainers, squatting every 8–10 days may be more effective.

4. If you aren’t built for the squat, and it exposes you to injury, then don’t squat!

5. An inch is a mile when it comes to squat depth. Don’t fool yourself with phony squat gains by slowly cutting your depth in order to increase your poundage on the bar. Your lower back should not round at the bottom of a squat.

6. Placing the bar on top of the shoulders can be more conducive to performing high-rep squats. The bottom line is to use a bar position that is comfortable and doesn’t hinder your ability to perform high-rep squats.

7. A good starting point for squat stance is placing your heels slightly wider than shoulder width apart, with your toes pointed outward somewhat. Avoid extremes, and experiment. When making adjustments in your stance, make sure you add weight slowly, to allow your body to adapt to the new position.

8. Exploding the bar will not make you fast. Control the bar at all times and avoid rapid accelerations.

9. Don’t perform the squat until a spotter has to bail you out after you get stuck performing a rep. If your technique is going to break down, then it is time to rack the weight and terminate the set.

10. Make sure you have sturdy flat-soled shoes when squatting. Belts and knee wraps are used to demonstrate strength, not build it.

11. If you want to have a big squat, you must squat. Other exercises should be thought of as “foundation builders.” You should question any leg exercise where you can use significantly more weight than you can barbell squat.

12. I found that one of the most effective foundation builders is the ball squat.</div>

Have you thought about this? http://www.adfit.com/mantaray/index.asp

I got one when I had a shoulder problem that limited how far back I could hold the bar while sqatting. This device lets you position it closer to the tops of your shoulders.

I also have short legs and a long truck, so squats are a bit awkward for me, but this thing really helps.

I got one because the bar would dig into my spine painfully at the base of the neck. My neck being 19-1/2&quot;, I had to take a razor knife and carve the neck area out a bit, but it works great; very comfortable.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I had to take a razor knife and carve the neck area out a bit, but it works great; very comfortable.</div>

If I didn't read carefully I'd say darn it, quad's operating on himself, carving out the neck and all
laugh.gif

Back