rest between sets

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_gus
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_gus

What is the best rest interval for growth? I understand that less time between sets = greater release of hgh but too little time= struggling to lift the sucker.

Shorter rest periods always make me feel like I'm working harder, but studies don't indicate that shorter rest translates into more muscle. Even resting 5 minutes or longer between sets doesn't seem to harm hypertrophy. So ... rest as long as you need to in order to use the highest load.

Actually Leegee if I am not mistaken and I will have to find the article, but I believe short rest periods have shown to spike testosterone.

Either way give it a try, I just like 1 minture rest periods b/c studies do show the muscle fuller recovers at around 1 to 1:30 total, so I figure why waste the time.
biggrin.gif

I'm young, so I don't believe in rest.
biggrin.gif

I stick to 30 to 60 seconds... just enough time for me to wipe the sweat off and catch some breath.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Apr. 10 2006,22:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually Leegee if I am not mistaken and I will have to find the article, but I believe short rest periods have shown to spike testosterone.

Either way give it a try, I just like 1 minture rest periods b/c studies do show the muscle fuller recovers at around 1 to 1:30 total, so I figure why waste the time.
biggrin.gif
</div>
Shorter rest also spikes cortisol, so it's a wash.

Not only that but increases in Test or GH or IGF (or whatever other hormone they wish to name) do not neccesarily indicate increased growth.

As Lee said use whatever allows you to not only use the largest loads but also allows the most work, or at least adequate work with that load. If you like a minute then use it, if you're like Colby here, a spry young buck and can swing 30 secs, go for it. If your recovery sucks wind then use 5 minutes. It matters about 4/5 of nil.

As far as recovering, what studies show muscle recovers in 1 min and also what exactly were they looking at? Strength? PCr? ATP? Lactate? I doubt any study has looked at all that occurs from contractions and puts it into a temporal sense. Too many confounding factors involved, age, sex, rest, sleep, nutrition, ROM, Length of muscle at peak force, speed of contractions, time between contractions, type of contractions, need I go on?
rock.gif

hmmm... from what I can see... this is a grey area, actually not that much written about it...... in my case, I vary it depending on my objective, for instance if I am cutting I go with 30-45 seconds and try to keep my HBR in aerobic range when I am resting for as long as possible.... if I am bulking up or in my 5's I go for 60-90 seconds

Yep

The higher the load the more rest I'll use.

Just a listen-to-your-body type response, you will invariably nned more time between bouts as the weight gets heavier!
biggrin.gif

Back