Rest Intervals.

chavda21

Hi all. i'm new to the HST game, looks very interesting and also looks beneficial in terms of not missing a muscle group if you miss a workout.

When looking over the HST notes, it came to my attention that although only doing 2 sets on compounds and 1 on isolation seems short, the WHOLE workout itself seems as if it will take over 45 minutes.

so my question is how long should I rest between sets and muscle groups?

Because ideally i want to be in and out of the gym in well under an hour, so my IGH and testosterone have been fully utilised.

Thnakx!

My impression is that most people base their rest time on the rep range they're in, and what % of their max for that range they're at.  Shorter rest times during the 15's (60-90 secs), longer rest times during the 5's (2 - 3 min).

Thanks for that. makes sense, bit of a silly question considering im a 2 yr undergrad of sport science.

well, considering the rest intervals are obviously longer for the 10's and 5's...

as we work down from the max rep (MR) in increments. why would we only perform say 10 reps on 70kg bench when we can actually bench 90kg for 10.....make sense?

sorry when i meant work back in increments i meant when using the HST calculator ..not ACTUALLY training backwards.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As we work down from the max rep (MR) in increments. why would we only perform say 10 reps on 70kg bench when we can actually bench 90kg for 10.....make sense?</div>

It has to do with avoiding RBE from catching up with you,you only do your repmax on thelast day every two weeks.
wink.gif

so basically every session (which is around 3 in a week) you increase the weight by 5kg for example untill day 6 which is on a fornight friday for example would be when you lift your max for that rep range?...

o and sorry for the ignorance but wat the hecs RBE?

biggrin.gif

Depends on how heavy you are working in your training cycle.

If you're just starting a 2 week rep period the time needed to change the plates on the bar between exercises may be enough with just enough time between sets to catch your breath and get ready for the next one. Maybe even under a minute.

If you are nearing your RM...you may need 2-3 minutes between sets.

RBE = Repeated Bout Effect, it eventually stops your gains, as your muscles get used to the load and build to accomodate it, in HST you are constantly beating RBE so your muscles have to constantly adapt.
wink.gif

Within major body parts, I typically do 3 sets with no rest or very little rest other than changing equipment as I use a giant set training concept to maximize the 3 sets. When changing body parts, I usually rest about 2 minutes.

Super-setting is an effective way to get sufficient rest between sets but keep your overall workout short. I superset the following:

Bench Press / Pendlay Rows
Bi Exercise / Tri Exercise
Squat / Calf Raise
Dip / Pull up

Thing is when using the superset and giant set method...is that goin to be as effective when in the 15 RM range and 10 and 5? taking into consideration following the HST programme as closeley as possible..

I think like most ppl it doesnt bother me and everyone reacts different to different stimuli, whateva makes me grow at the end of the day.!!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Thing is when using the superset and giant set method...is that goin to be as effective when in the 15 RM range and 10 and 5? taking into consideration following the HST programme as closeley as possible.. </div>

Not sure this has any relevance. Bottom line is that your weights should steadily increase over the two week cycles. if time is an issue, modify HST to make it work for you.

Personally, i find that I'm stronger when training antagonistic muscle groups as a superset, buts thats just me....

Yer i see what your saying. everyones different. i gues it wudnt harm too much to work around my schedule, whether i superset or fully recover etc...either way im pumpin iron 3 days a week and another 3 days im beatin the crap outa sum1.....or getin beaten myself...never knw with MMA.

thans for the great advice every1 i'll take into consideration the rest intervals when starting HST after new year!

''Personally, i find that I'm stronger when training antagonistic muscle groups as a superset, buts thats just me''

Theres a reason for this, neural inhibition
cool.gif

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Dec. 19 2006,10:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Within major body parts, I typically do 3 sets with no rest or very little rest other than changing equipment as I use a giant set training concept to maximize the 3 sets. When changing body parts, I usually rest about 2 minutes.</div>
O&amp;G I am guessing that your workout is short and sweet?

Leaving you more time for the cowgirls?
tounge.gif

Seriously, how long does your workout last?

Back