Review my workout and critique it please

Synner

First off, sorry this wrong forum. This is a repost, seems more traffic here and really want feedback since starting tomorrow.

First time on the site, when I did HST before was a friend guiding me, so quite possible I did it wrong.

Ok, did HST few years back with amazing success. Not sure why haven't gone back to it till now. I did make some variations. 2 exercises per body part for 2 sets. Now I was younger and could eat and sleep more.

Also when see my workout giving now wont be much for legs Ive had 9 knee surgeries from car accident and next ones are total replacements. They hurt like hell so they don't get to much training. Also have a lower back problem but get epidurals help with that.

Please critique. Wanna do this right. Been back in gym for 2 months after year off due to surgeries. Gotten lazy. Been working out since 12 though.

Stats.
age 33
6'5"
prob 275, feel I look best 240.

Going for M-W-F 2 exercises for 2 sets minus legs. Will be doing cardio off days. Elipitical for 30 mins.
Goal is Muscle.
weeks 1-2 15 reps 3-4 10 reps 5-6 5 reps 7-8 prob repeat 5s or 10s

exercises order
BACK
-Bent over rows
-lat pull down varying wide and close grip every other workout
Chest
-Incline bench
-flat bench
Shoulders
-Dumbbell Press
-Side laterals
Biceps
-Barbell Curl
-Hammer curls
Triceps
- Cable pressdown
- Skull crushers
Quads
-Legpress, may try squats
Hamstrings
-Stiff legged Deadlifts
- Seated hamstring curls
Calves
-Standing rasies
-Seated raises

PS sorry for being all over place. Keep thinking stuff to add.

Exercise selection etc looks great, though I think the primary response you're going to get is something like "holy ****, that's a lot of exercises to do in one day." I count 15, so at 2 sets a pop that's 30 working sets, three times a week. This can obviously be done (the fact that people get away with and even prosper from stuff like Smolov is a testament to human resiliency when provided the wonders of high calories and motivation), but it looks pretty brutal. Good luck!

Guess I am not as young as I once was, got my ass beat. Did 2 sets for chest, back, shoulder presses. then 1 work set per exercises the rest.

Such a good workout.

Even if you drop to one bicep and one tricep exercise, you still have a lot of lifts. Looks good, maybe excessive slightly.
For large muscle groups, like chest, back, thighs, keep two exercises, maybe even shoulders, but arms and calves only need one exercise.

What is most noticable to me is that you seem to overwork the small muscles and underwork the large muscles, even considering your injuries. I have had two back surgeries and two knee surgeries and am almost 68 yo and my basic alternating routine is still:

Incline bench
Dips

Squats
Deads

Shoulder press
Shrugs

Chin/Pull ups
Lat pulldowns

Seeing that you are so tall, the muscle I would concentrate most on is the back. A broad back and relative thin waist/hip line on a tall person looks awesome. You don't need a giant chest or legs and and your arms are probably so long that they will never look as good as a short guys so capitalize on what can make you really stand out. You have a lot of space for lat growth so fill it up. Second muscle should be the shoulders, especially the traps.

Just my $.02.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

O&G

Last edited by a moderator:
It does look like a lot of exercises. For me, the "magic" number of exercises seems to be 10. If you select exercises carefully you'll hit everything multiple times and be able to get everything done in 1-1.25 hours. I spend more time on compound exercises than anything else. I also try to organize my exercises beginning to end such that I'm not over-taxing any particular area with two straight exercises... ie, chins followed up by bicep work would be crushing your biceps all at once. I'm certainly no expert, but this approach has worked for me thus far; propelled me from 165lbs to ~179, started HST July 2012.

Deads (hams, quads, low back, little upper back, traps, little forearms... gets almost everything)
Chins (gets everything upper back, biceps, little forearms)
Dips (chest, triceps, shoulders)
Leg press (quads, glutes... squats are even better, but Deads and Squats in the same workout eventually gets really tough)
DB Incline Press (chest, shoulders)
DB Bent Row (everything upper back, little biceps, little forearms)
DB Shoulers work (laterals...)
Iso bicep or tricep work (DB curls or BB curls)
Calves
Abs

It does look like a lot of exercises. For me, the "magic" number of exercises seems to be 10. If you select exercises carefully you'll hit everything multiple times and be able to get everything done in 1-1.25 hours. I spend more time on compound exercises than anything else. I also try to organize my exercises beginning to end such that I'm not over-taxing any particular area with two straight exercises... ie, chins followed up by bicep work would be crushing your biceps all at once. I'm certainly no expert, but this approach has worked for me thus far; propelled me from 165lbs to ~179, started HST July 2012.

Deads (hams, quads, low back, little upper back, traps, little forearms... gets almost everything)
Chins (gets everything upper back, biceps, little forearms)
Dips (chest, triceps, shoulders)
Leg press (quads, glutes... squats are even better, but Deads and Squats in the same workout eventually gets really tough)
DB Incline Press (chest, shoulders)
DB Bent Row (everything upper back, little biceps, little forearms)
DB Shoulers work (laterals...)
Iso bicep or tricep work (DB curls or BB curls)
Calves
Abs

Wow, that looks very close to my training routine too. Although I tend towards 6-9 exercises generally, usually 5-6 compounds and then 1-3 isolation exercises at the end to hit smaller muscles, or hit a muscle that is a priority.
I also try to stagger the exercises, I'll do something like:

Leg
Pull
Push
Pull
Push
Leg
Then isolations...

So I am not going to two exercises in a row that work the same muscles. I keep Deadlift first, and leg press later on, so my legs can somewhat recover from deadlifts, before I do Leg Press, I alternate push, pull for upper body, like:

Pulldowns
Dips
Rows
Bench

Anyway, good advice in exercise selection and programming.

What is most noticable to me is that you seem to overwork the small muscles and underwork the large muscles, even considering your injuries. I have had two back surgeries and two knee surgeries and am almost 68 yo and my basic alternating routine is still:

Incline bench
Dips

Squats
Deads

Shoulder press
Shrugs

Chin/Pull ups
Lat pulldowns

Seeing that you are so tall, the muscle I would concentrate most on is the back. A broad back and relative thin waist/hip line on a tall person looks awesome. You don't need a giant chest or legs and and your arms are probably so long that they will never look as good as a short guys so capitalize on what can make you really stand out. You have a lot of space for lat growth so fill it up. Second muscle should be the shoulders, especially the traps.

Just my $.02.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

O&G

Not to high jack, but O&G. What muscle groups would make someone who's 5'6" with long arms, arm length of someone whos 5'10"-5'11" look good/stand out?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm? Tough one! Short of a partial amputation or learning to walk on my knuckles, I would make the rest of my body stand out to the best of my genetic ability.

Back