rowing after lifting

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_ephman
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_ephman

hi,

i have been reading a lot of great stuff about rowing and fatloss. my workouts usually take about 40 minutes to do and i want to start rowing (on a rowing machine) after i lift for about 20 minutes. anybody have any experience with this? i know running after lifting might hamper muscle growth. i'm figuring the same thing will happen. but does anybody have any experience with this? i'm currently cutting.

thanks for the bandwidth,

ephman

Hey Ephman,

I also bought a rowing machine when I decided to make a cardio machine purchase. Let me tell you one thing, it certainly is a workout!!!

And by that, I mean, it really is more than just simple cardio. It is quite a workout in itself, which is a good thing, but ends up not working out so well as just a cardio session.

Therefore, I definitely do NOT recommend doing this after lifting. Do it in the morning if you work out after work, or do it on non-lifting days.

Tell you one more thing. The rowing really carried over to overall back strength and helped me with bent-over rows obviously, but also really helped out with chins when I was struggling to even do body weight for reps.

It's just hard to go fast and get your heart really up there. You can increase the resistance of course, but it's different from other cardio machines in that you simply start losing strength and fatiguing, like doing some high-rep body weight routine.

Anyway, I am definitely not saying I don't like it. It is great, as long as you understand that it's not exactly just another cardio session.

Make and model is also very very important as with ellipticals. If you can, get the Concept2. Alot of guys do time trials, where you constantly try to get a 1000-stroke workout or a 5km distance faster and faster, for example.

I would love to get a Concept 2 rower. But I will probably have to wait another year. But if I were to buy one that is the one I would get. You are supposed to be able to program any type of interval pattern on it that you want so setting it up to do HIIT or Tabata would be really easy to do.

thanks for the input! my gym has the concept II. i tried it today and wow ya totally can't do it after a workout. and it's hard to get my heart above 130bpm. but man i was just just wiped out after about 10 minutes. i think i'll be switching this in and out with a spin session i do once a week. cool.

thanks for the bandwidth,

ephman

Back