Sample HST routine in the articles section

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_fearofthedark
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_fearofthedark

As far as Im concerned, everything with the HST routine is on the ball. :) It's about curse word (ing) time this happened for bodybuilding.

There is a sample routine provided in the articles section. You know, for chest its got 2 incline, and 1 dips, 2 sets of triceps extensions, etc... And it's done on monday, wednesday and friday.

Is it best I just go ahead and do this sample routine as is? Unfortunatley, i have this thorn in my side to tweak the routine a little, but I really don't want to tweak something that is most likely perfect to begin with. Thank you

I would give the routine from the article a shot for the first cycle. It's a solid routine and should provide some awesome gains assuming you eat enough.

Personally, I don't think a lot of tweaking of HST is necessary. The only real modifications that I practice is elimination of the 15s for most cycles and the addition of metabolic work during the 5s. You should definitely add in the metabolic work at least during the negatives.

I completley agree with what you said about 15's. I myself have been hesitant to ever leave the 6-12 rep range which is the "hypertrophic" rep range.

As for metabolic work, Im afraid ive never come across this term before...

By metabolic work, what I mean is that during the 5s and post-5s, once you have finished your routine, you should bust out a few sets of 15-20 reps with a light weight for your major movements. The idea is to get a good burn going in your muscles, which helps build better quality muscle tissue.

Does this have to do with the fact that low repetitions didnt recruit alot of the muscle fibers since the set was so short? They recruited mostly fast twitch and the slow twitch fibers were neglected so you do a set of high reps to fatigue the slow twitch fibers as well?

I would think that is true to a degree. The burn sets do bring in the slow twitch muscle fibers that are hit with hight TUT or higher reps, but mostly the metabolic work is to flush the muscle with blood which transfers the nutrients to the muscle to start the rebuilding process or healing. Some of the experts here could give you the exact term, but in plain english this is what happens.

So long story short, yes you do get some slow twitch fibers activated plus it increases the healing process.

Just food for thought but there as has been some new scientific studies done that shows were say you hit a muscle hard and heavy on day 1 then go in on day 2 and perform extremely light weigths up to say 100 reps, the studies show this helps with hypertrophy as well.

Just food for thought!

Back