SD and Intermediate 5x5

Justin.Unit

I'm currently in the first 5RM/negatives week of my first HST cycle, and I'm looking to start the Bill Starr Intermediate 5x5 program after this cycle. I'm just interested as to how people would handle the transition between the two programs. My options between ending HST and starting the 5x5 are:

1 - Do a normal SD period of 9 days (no lifting, light cardio, maybe some GPP stuff)
2 - Do a deload week of low volume, low intensity (some lifting, some GPP)
3 - Just go straight into it

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had prior experience with combining these two programs? Much appreciated...

Justin,

haha - I have been doing the 'Bill Starr 5x5' program for months ... and I absolutely love it.

I'm just the reverse of you. Bill to HST.

BUTTT - I can't decide to just change the 5x5 to 10x5 and do the same exercises (use the Excel sheet) ... or change it up completely with the HST workout. I mainly want a 10 rep program. Not interested in 5 reps anymore ... and 15 isn't sooooo helpful for hypertrophy.

Maybe you can help me on that. haha.

<div>
(Cusp of Carabelli @ Aug. 06 2006,20:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I mainly want a 10 rep program. Not interested in 5 reps anymore ... and 15 isn't sooooo helpful for hypertrophy. </div>
Will it be your first HST cycle? If so I would definately recommend sticking to the vanilla version and doing the 15's - they might seem a little wierd, but they definately prepare you well for the 10's and 5's. If you've got some experience with HST you could always customise it - as long as your program takes into account the main factors like mechanical load, progression, SD and frequency you should be able to come up with something right for you.

One of the main ideas I like about HST is the focus on a whole program, not just single workouts, so maybe look at the 15's in that sense...they might seem strange on their own, but in the context of a whole 8 week cycle they become an integral part of something much larger (which will hopefully be you after 2 months!). Hope that helps...

Justin

Both option 1 and 2 are OK, 2 would probably be better, I tried and and liked it, unfortunately my shoulder didn't
laugh.gif

But that is life, 5 x 5 is a solid program.
wink.gif

depends
biggrin.gif

how you feel after Neg phase
if not too tired
option 2
if tired or some problems with joints etc option 1

good luck

Back