SD before testing maxes?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dilsie
  • Start date Start date
D

Dilsie

I just finished my 2nd 8-week cycle about 12 days ago, and have been SDing ever since. I just joined a new gym and the weights will be different, so I will have to re-test my maxes. Will it be ok if I test my maxes on T, Th, and Sun. and then start my first week of 15's on the following Tues.? I can't stand the thought of taking another week off from lifting.

You should have a good idea of what you are capable of, go try and see how far off you are, if close then adjust on workout sheet!

as fausto said
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Enigma66 @ Jun. 06 2006,02:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The weights will be different?  Does that mean you're using machines?</div>
No, it just means that not every gyms weights are exactly the same, some differ slightly from others.

Back to my question, does this mean that I can SD before retesting my maxes, then go straight into the cycle?

<div>
(Dilsie @ Jun. 06 2006,16:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">No, it just means that not every gyms weights are exactly the same, some differ slightly from others.</div>
Ok, what does THAT mean then?  You're using dumbbells for everything, and one gym has them in pairs of 10, 20, 30... and the other gym has them in pairs of 15, 25, 35...?

I'm not trying to sound like I'm picking on you, but this is like the 5th post I've seen recently about retesting maxes and I don't understand why.  It says right in the HST documentation that if you're able to reach the target reps on the last workout of a micro-cycle then just up the weight incrementally when you hit that micro-cycle again during your next overall HST cycle. You don't need to figure out your maxes again.

<div>
(Enigma66 @ Jun. 06 2006,15:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Dilsie @ Jun. 06 2006,16:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">No, it just means that not every gyms weights are exactly the same, some differ slightly from others.</div>
Ok, what does THAT mean then?  You're using dumbbells for everything, and one gym has them in pairs of 10, 20, 30... and the other gym has them in pairs of 15, 25, 35...?

I'm not trying to sound like I'm picking on you, but this is like the 5th post I've seen recently about retesting maxes and I don't understand why.  It says right in the HST documentation that if you're able to reach the target reps on the last workout of a micro-cycle then just up the weight incrementally when you hit that micro-cycle again during your next overall HST cycle.  You don't need to figure out your maxes again.</div>
Sometimes one gyms dumbells feel as if they are slightly heavier. Also, some gyms have different weights (i.e. 33's instead of 30's). I am mainly concerned with lifts such as assisted pullups and leg curls though. But it doesn't matter that much, I am going to retest them anyways, and I have seen that you should increase your weights from cycle to cycle by 5-10%.

Maxes on pullups aren't going to be very accurate anyway, since your weight won't stay constant, so I wouldn't bother doing that one. Leg curls is a exercise I wouldn't even bother doing.

I would do as Enigma said - just use your last maxes and adjust when you hit your RM day. Weights can't differ THAT much. I don't see how they could. A 45 plate is going to be roughly 45 lbs no matter where you go. There might be minute differences, but it won't amount to much at all.

Back