Sets & Reps Question?

Mont

Hi guys i have sorted out my workout routine but have a few questions on sets/reps. I used the sample workout shown on the main site with a few alterations (Thanks to fearfactory and Wildman), my routine is as follows:

Workout A
Barbell Squats
Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Bicep Curls
Barbell Wrist Curl
Skull Crushers
Calf Raise
Crunches

Workout B
Deadlifts
Chin Ups
Standing Overhead Press
Bicep Curls
Reverse Barbell Curls
Skull Crushers
Calf Raise
Crunches

I was going to use a set/rep scheme of 1x15, 2x10 and 3x5 but when it comes to doing 3x5 does the volume look to high or does this look ok? Any coments will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

depending on your conditioning to high volume the 3 sets could take it out of you, however its best to try it and find out what your body is telling you before reducing the volume.

That looks like a reasonable plan you got there Mont. I think that Icars is right about being careful about the volume if you are not used to it. My routine is a bit longer but I have been doing high volume for the last two years and I think, (I think) I will be able to do it. My plan is to reduce the number of exercises down if it gets to be too much but you need to identify that as early as possible. I opted to stay at one set for my isolation work and focus on multiple sets for my compounds since I chose to do fourteen exercises. If during the tens you feel as though the volume is too high, you could simply reduce the sets downwards on the isolations first before eliminating exercises altogether to reduce the volume. The muscle you are isolating have already been worked to some degree during the compound lifts so just reducing the sets on the isolation work should be enough while still giving you the direct stimulation you seek. I hope this works out well for you. If you get a log going I would like to read along with your progress as well. I too am a first time HST lifter and want to give it a fair evaluation as another tool in the arsenal. I already have several good methods that really work but it is nice to swap out to other programs for variety. I want to stay interested for many years to come.

Thanks alot guys! Good to hear from you again wildman. I decided to refresh my memory of the HST principles and methods and have decided to go with 1x15, 2x10 and 2x5, i think that is a manageable volume for myself. Again thanks lads you've been a great help. This site kicks A$$! Mont

<div>
(Mont @ Aug. 25 2008,11:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks alot guys! Good to hear from you again wildman. I decided to refresh my memory of the HST principles and methods and have decided to go with 1x15, 2x10 and 2x5, i think that is a manageable volume for myself. Again thanks lads you've been a great help. This site kicks A$$! Mont</div>
instead of dropping to 2 sets you could drop some of the isos if its to hard on the 5s its your choice..

cheers faz i think that is a better idea, stick with the 3 sets and if it gets to much ill drop the iso's, thanks m8

Back