Setting up my HST Routine

Steiner

Hi Everyone, I'm starting my first week of HST this next week and plan to find my max's for 15's, 10's and 5's.

Here's what I have come up with for the 15's. Please critque my routine and number of sets.

Exercise (day 1) Exercise (day 2) Sets

Hack Squats Leg Press 2
Leg curls Leg Curls 2
Leg extensions Leg extensions 1
inner/outer thighs inner/outer thighs 1/side
incline bench BB incline bench DB 2
bench press BB bench press DB 2
pull-ups BO Row 2
Military Press DB Lateral Raise 2
Rear Delt Machine Rear Delt Machine 2
DB Shrugs DB Shrugs 2
DB Curls EZ Curls 2
DB Ext EZ Ext 2
Dky Calf Machine Dky Calf Machine 2
Abs Abs 2

Thanks guys,
Steiner

Jeez, where to start? You might want to read the "simplify and win" thread to get a good handle on things. I think your routine was set up by a Muscle and Fitness editor! Not all bad, but pretty redundant.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Jeez, where to start? You might want to read the &quot;simplify and win&quot; thread to get a good handle on things. I think your routine was set up by a Muscle and Fitness editor! Not all bad, but pretty redundant. </div>

lol. Now I laugh because my PT sessions are over. It's been 4 weeks and HST is gonna feel much easier for me, I think.

I'll check out the thread and come back here and repost another routine that has more compound exercises with less sets. Thanks again,

Steiner.

How's this setup looking? It's similar to Byran's example here

Should I dump the Hack Squats and just do free weight squats instead?

Hack Squats Leg Press 2
Leg curls Leg Curls 2
Incline bench BB Incline bench DB 2
Pull-ups BO Row 2
Rear Delt Machine Rear Delt Machine 2
DB Shrugs DB Shrugs 2
DB Curls EZ Curls 2
DB Extensions EZ Extensions 2
*Abs Abs 2

* just because.

Hack squats are the devil. Alternate A&amp;B workouts MWF:

A: full ROM olympic squats, bench, pendlay rows, standing OH press
B: deadlifts, dips, chins, standing OH press

You should still focus on strength while using HST principals, just look at lcars. The only way to fail on this program is to not eat and sleep enough.

<div>
(liegelord @ Feb. 17 2007,20:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hack squats are the devil. Alternate A&amp;B workouts MWF:

A: full ROM olympic squats, bench, pendlay rows, standing OH press
B: deadlifts, dips, chins, standing OH press.....</div>
I'll take out the hack Squats.

The olympic squats though I'm not too sure about. Wouldn't I be better off doing back squats instead?

I removed the rear delts and switched to Back Squats

Back Squats Leg Press 2
Leg curls Leg Curls 2
Pull-ups BO Row 2
DB Shrugs DB Shrugs 2
DB Curls EZ Curls 2
DB Extensions EZ Extensions 2
*Abs Abs 2

Please comment.

Thx,
Steiner

The number of exercises seem like a bit too much. I would add in deadlifts, and take out isolation movements such as the extensions and curls (both leg and bicep.)

I would go with something more like this:

Back Squats Deadlift 2
Bentover Row Weighted Pullups 2
Military Press Military Press
DB Shrugs BB Curl
Weighted Crunches or Situps (both days)

As you can see, deadlifts instead of leg press and military press both days instead of DB lateral raises. I put rows on the same day as squats because it is hard to do them with deadlifts. Also, I cut out most of the stuff I felt was too much, but left in shrugs on day one and curls on day two.

I think with this kind of a setup, you can focus a lot more on the important lifts once you get into the 10s and 5s, and are pushing a lot more weight. If you want to do more overall work, then you could increase sets in the 5s, but it may not be necessary.

That's fantastic, thx Totentanz. Today was technically my last day of PT and I did circuit training 3 times around which equalled over 33 sets of 15's and some cardio. I dislike the circuit training but the sets were even less than on the other days! May be that is why i feel I could handle much more than 6 exercises per day. But I have never tried the 10's or 15's yet, so I'll be taking the advise and lowering the amount.

What are your thoughts on the type of Squat I should be doing? Olympic or Back?

And for the last 3 exercises, should I be doing only 1 set or is 2 ok?

Thanks Steiner

Back