Setting up my routine

thehamma

I'm trying to outline my first HST routine.  I have a few questions that I'd like to iron out before I start.  
 First, is the exercise selection.  I've seen some conflicting "official" routines on the site.  In some areas squats and deadlifts are chosen for legs, however, in some routines suggest squats and leg curls.  Also, on the chart of listed exercises according to bodypart, shrugs is not listed at all and neither are calves.  In addition, why are rear lateral raises listed along with shoulder press, and not lateral raises?  Also, why are flye movements omitted from the routine if hypertrophy is the goal?  Physiologically speaking flyes are a more effective pec movement.  
 Second, is the cadence of the movement.  Is there a preffered lowering and lifting speeds in HST?
I also have some questions desigining the routine. Only the last workout of each 2 week block is performed to failure, right?  So, I will be doing 15 reps to failure on all my exercises at the end of week 2, and 10 reps to failure on the last day of week 4?  And the last 2 weeks I will be doing 5 reps, but only to failure on the last workout on week 6?  When do I start doing negatives?  I don't really understand what to do after the 10 rep 2 week block.  
So far my routine looks like this:
Squat
Standing Calf Raise
Incline Bench
Nautilus Super Pullover
Lateral Raise(rear)
Shoulder Press
Lying Tricep Ext
Dips
Crunches
It seems to me that the number of upperbody exercises is too many compared to lower body and I still dont have any trapezius exercises.
Frequency, I plan on training Monday,Wedneday, and Friday.
If anyone can help I'd appreciate it- Thanks

[b said:
Quote[/b] (thehamma @ July 14 2005,1:39)]1.In some areas squats and deadlifts are chosen for legs, however, in some routines suggest squats and leg curls.  

2.Also, on the chart of listed exercises according to bodypart, shrugs is not listed at all and neither are calves.  

3.In addition, why are rear lateral raises listed along with shoulder press, and not lateral raises?  

4.Also, why are flye movements omitted from the routine if hypertrophy is the goal?  

5.Second, is the cadence of the movement.  Is there a preffered lowering and lifting speeds in HST?

6.Only the last workout of each 2 week block is performed to failure, right?  

7.So, I will be doing 15 reps to failure on all my exercises at the end of week 2, and 10 reps to failure on the last day of week 4?  And the last 2 weeks I will be doing 5 reps, but only to failure on the last workout on week 6?  

8.When do I start doing negatives?  I don't really understand what to do after the 10 rep 2 week block.  

9.So far my routine looks like this:
Squat
Standing Calf Raise
Incline Bench
Nautilus Super Pullover
Lateral Raise(rear)
Shoulder Press
Lying Tricep Ext
Dips
Crunches

10.It seems to me that the number of upperbody exercises is too many compared to lower body and I still dont have any trapezius exercises.

11.Frequency, I plan on training Monday,Wedneday, and Friday.
If anyone can help I'd appreciate it- Thanks
Since you bombarded one post with a lot of question I'll keep it very brief and to the point.

1.The chart on sample of volume vs conventional shows Stiff Leg Deads, these are a Hamstring exercise you can use instead of Leg Curls but they are differnet that normal deadlifts.

2.The exercise selection chart shows Straight Leg Calf Raise and Shrugs.here

3. Shoulder Presses still recruit the lateral delts, so up to you.

4. THe Incline bench sufficiently recruits the chest both upper and lower but if you wish to do flye's go right ahead.

5.In the lighter weights start slow and as it starts getting tough speed it up to complete the set, but never go faster than keeping good form, in the heavier stuff the weight will dictate the tempo.

6.The last workout of each RM phase can be to failure, it's suggested to avoid failure so the frequency can be kept higher. But if you can work to failure and keep frequency high without losing strength, then it's up to you.

7.See 6

8. Negs are done after the 5's RM phase if you wish or you could keep working with your 5RM for an additional 2 weeks.

9.Cool

10.Then add them in, no big deal, add a set of shrugs, or leg ext if you wish.

11.Good frequency
thumbs-up.gif

Ask away if you have more

Pretty much everything you asked is in the forums. A great starting place in "HST for Dummies" thread, that is in the Basic Training section. I also recommend you either read the FAQ, or do as I did and download the Adobe HST FAQ and read it about 5 times. I promise you will learn alot if you take the time to read all of the articles and posts the experts have worked so hard on.

dkm1987 thanks for taking the time to answer my lenghty questions.
chiefhog- you're right all of the info I asked about was in the faq and in other threads the experts have worked on, I was looking for someone to clarify and reaffirm some of the points I wasn't sure of.
Thanks

Just trying to help point you in the right direction. It took me awhile to find most of the info I was looking for. There are some great nuggets of wisdom buried in these forums. It would be great to have a HUGE table of contents in order to make information easier to find.
tounge.gif

Back