Shoulder injury blues!

lako62

Man am I bummed! My left shoulder felt like an ice pick(does anyone use ice picks anymore?) was jammed into my side shoulder doing db benchpress warmups. Im older, 50, and I always do pushups and lower weight db benchpresses to warm up. I haven't done barbell bench presses since 1999 as just 135lbs makes my shoulder joints scream in pain. No problem with dumbells as I keep my elbows in a little closer. Incline db's feel fine, but bb inclines give me the same pain response.My 5rm max on the flat db bench is 100lb dumbells, but I feel I have more in the tank as I do them in a slower cadence than most, and no bounce with a slight pause at the bottom.Any tips on nursing a sore shoulder back? I take krill oil with hla, which really helps my other joints, and do some rotator cuff exercises. It may have been a slight pull. The shoulder feels fine unless I move it a certain way, then..OWW!Any advice?

When my shoulders were giving me problems a year ago, I switched to a slight incline (10-15 deg.) BP exclusively, checked my ego, and reduced the weight with full ROM. No pain anymore and haven't done flat bench since.

I have done them, and used to be able to go heavy, but the gym I go to now has dip bars that are very narrow and I don't like the feel as much. I should give them a try again. Do you guys recommend taking the upper arm down to about parallel with the floor, or do a deeper dip?

I have done them, and used to be able to go heavy, but the gym I go to now has dip bars that are very narrow and I don't like the feel as much. I should give them a try again. Do you guys recommend taking the upper arm down to about parallel with the floor, or do a deeper dip?

Find out about your rotator cuff and how to rehab the various muscles that support your shoulder joints. If your rotator cuff muscles are not the issue then try dipping and see how your shoulder(s) feels at different depths. Pick a depth that doesn't cause you pain.

Have you tried floor presses? They are worth a try. The reduced ROM has helped me while I work through a shoulder issue.

If you don't already do shoulder dislocates, start doing them daily. Use a broomhandle/pole and go carefully. Aim for 50-100 reps a day as 2 or 3 sets: a set in the morning and then another before bed. On training days, do a set as part of your warmup too. Over time these will help with your shoulder flexibility and greatly reduce the chance of shoulder impingement. As your shoulders get used to the movement, start to reduce your hand spacing during a session. Always begin a session with a wide hand spacing and do enough reps to warm things up before moving your hands in a bit.

What Lol said 100%

If the gym has a seated dip machine, that is also an option. Usually that is easier on you than using the narrow bars.

For dislocates, you can also use a towel if you don't have anything else to use. The gym should have a stick for you to do them, but as Lol said, do them at home as well. I find the broomstick I have at home too ackward so I just use a rolled towel.

I have a typcial shoulder injury which is a build up of cartlidge in my AC joint. According to the surgeon I met it is one of the most common problem he sees when dealing with gym/work out people. I received a few cortison shots a couple of years ago but it didnt really help in the long run. I ended up doing an intense rotator-cuff rehab routine for a couple of months. My ex is a physiotherapist and she showed me the inward rotating exercise and it was actually that particular one that ended up helping me.

I was unable to train for about a year as I had pain in almost every exercise. Even when squatting! Ive now been pain-free in the joint for a couple of years and can easily do my 4rep sets without a problem. I tried the usual rotator cuff exercises before the cortison and they didnt help much. My advice is to try the inward style ones in the cable crossover machine or with the rubberbands.

Back