Shoulders being pulled forward?

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_hung
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_hung

I'm into my frist week of 5's atm and all has been goin well.
Gains are to my liking and all.

I've been skipping the back exercises due to time constraints/overall tiredness. I've noticed my shoulders are more "forward" in comparison to my back?

Would this be due to me skipping the back exercises?

Most definitely, skipping back will absolutely result in stalled gains in presses(including and especially bench )injury, posture problems ect. ect. ...

My advice? Barbell Row and DeadLift...

Great question though, better to ask than to continue on the track your on - good luck!
smile.gif

hung

Russ is absolutelly right...next step shoulder impingement, or even worst problems.

Nobody should ever skip body parts in a body building program, that equates to unbalanced muscle groups which in turn leads to INJURY.
wow.gif

I would advise you to stop chest exercises and start doing rows and pull downs until your posture is equalised.

<div>
(style @ Apr. 09 2007,22:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would advise you to stop chest exercises and start doing rows and pull downs until your posture is equalised.</div>
I agree.

For the problem to become apparent this early on...it obviously means you are a newbie...so the good news is you can correct it soon with just rows for a while.

Mmmm thought so.

A while back i started a discussion accidently about Rows Vs Pull/chinups for Lats/Back.

My point atm is that. I tried the rows and i think i did them incorrectly and REALLY hurt my lower back. But willing to try it again.

As for chin/pull ups, i can barely manage one =( No idea why.

<div>
(hung @ Apr. 10 2007,16:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Mmmm thought so.

A while back i started a discussion accidently about Rows Vs Pull/chinups for Lats/Back.

My point atm is that. I tried the rows and i think i did them incorrectly and REALLY hurt my lower back. But willing to try it again.

As for chin/pull ups, i can barely manage one =( No idea why.</div>
Don't rush to increase the loads. Do ensure your form is really good first. Once your form is good you can begin loading more.

It's a funny thing, but once you have your form sussed you can work up to using a weight that's a bit too heavy (so you might be cheating a bit) but you will still perform the movement much more safely than if you overloaded without getting your form down first. You just know where you can cheat and where you can't.

For rows of all kinds, always keep your lower back flat and your knees unlocked.

I have an idea why you can't do a chin or a pull-up - you ain't strong enough yet?! No shame in that. Just work on doing pull-downs and negative chins for a while. You will soon be blasting them out.

<div>
(hung @ Apr. 10 2007,11:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As for chin/pull ups, i can barely manage one =( No idea why.</div>
LOL... it's called being weak... we were all &quot;it&quot; once.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I tried the rows and i think i did them incorrectly and REALLY hurt my lower back.</div>
Have you tried DB rows or supported T-bar?  You should work on strengthening your back, but these might help in the interim if your back is a problem.

there are many types of rows. Find one that doesn't hurt the back, and get your form checked by someone in the 'know'. If you can't find one, you can do reverse flyes on the T-bar pad with a couple of light DB's, and do DB rows, as Ruthenian mentioned.

Pendlay rows are the only way to go. I had a personal trainer &quot;training&quot; a client right next to me a few months back, we were both doing rows. I was doing Pendlay rows with about 250 and the PT's client was doing the usual 45 degree row using about 60 lbs.

The PT asked me what the benefit was to doing them the way I was as opposed to the way he had his client doing them. &quot;You mean besides the extra 190 lbs?&quot;

The overall back development cannot be beaten.

Whilst I agree with Liege, one must build up the back strength befgore taking on Pendlay's, however it seems to me that you need to check out Back exercises on this website link, check your form out and go on!
wink.gif

I agree with liege about the Pendlays. Wait until your lower back is healed up, then start doing them.

If you are new to them, you'll obviously have to use lighter weight - just like any other exercise - but that's what you should do to start out anyway. That way you can master the form. A lot of people think they are doing Pendlay's but they aren't. Unless you can easily return the bar to the floor when you lower it, without having to lower your torso in order to do so, then you probably aren't using good form.

And if you start out doing Pendlay's right from the beginning, then it's a good bet that you won't have any lower back problems for the rest of your life. I've done them from just about the beginning, and even when I wasn't doing them strictly, I was still at just about 90 degrees - none of that 45 degree crap - and my lower back is pretty much invincible now. Lower back is almost never the limiting point for me in a movement. In fact, this is probably the reason why I was able to handle squats and deads in the same day for such a long time.

But... if you don't care so much about lower back strength and just want your back to look good, then you can try doing 45 degree rows or seated rows instead. But... unless you compensate by doing a lot of deadlifting, I doubt you'll get erectors so huge that it looks like you could run a river between them, build a dam at the bottom and use that to power the entire continent of Asia.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The PT asked me what the benefit was to doing them the way I was as opposed to the way he had his client doing them.  &quot;You mean besides the extra 190 lbs?&quot;  </div>
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 Love that answer!

I wouldn't argue with the Pendlay rows, he just may need to do something with more back support until he can do them.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 11 2007,12:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But... if you don't care so much about lower back strength and just want your back to look good, then you can try doing 45 degree rows or seated rows instead.  But... unless you compensate by doing a lot of deadlifting, I doubt you'll get erectors so huge that it looks like you could run a river between them, build a dam at the bottom and use that to power the entire continent of Asia.</div>
I am doing deadlifts alternated with Pendlay rows...hope to power Asia someday.
laugh.gif

Back