Shrugs and ROM

Captain Crunch

So I know we can all load tons of weight on the bar for doing shrugs but when is the weight less important than getting the full range of motion and that great shoulder lift?

I am still getting some decent lift with the heavy weight but certainly not like when I am using a more moderate weight.

How important is ROM with shrugs?

Thanks

ROM is fairly important with shrugs. When I do them, I go from a relaxed position with my arms down to raising my shoulders as high as possible and holding the weight for several seconds before continuing the next rep.

<div>
(Captain Crunch @ Jan. 30 2007,17:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So I know we can all load tons of weight on the bar for doing shrugs but when is the weight less important than getting the full range of motion and that great shoulder lift?

I am still getting some decent lift with the heavy weight but certainly not like when I am using a more moderate weight.

How important is ROM with shrugs?

Thanks</div>
You have to try both at different periods for a while to find out what works best for you. I've known quite a few who do much better with full ROM. Horrible form and weight that is too heavy for me to properly handle works best for me.

One of my favorite subjects. I believe in a full ROM, but as suggested, some guys can make gains from less. Consider the ignoble deadlift, a demonic purveyor of intimidation and pain, known worldwide for it's propensity to stimulate the trapezius areas. No ROM whatsoever here, but often returns results.
I've gone no less than a few cycles of shrugs with different methods, usually starting moderately heavy and progressing to my maxes. But the maxes soon became evidently a grey area, as the mega-heavy poundages began to shorten the ROM, and the temptation to go 'twinkle toes' increased.
Personally I equate using the quads and calves in the same class of cheating as short-repping them, because when I did them super heavy (I'm talking over 600) I didn't gain anything for all the weight. But doing them super high rep at 2-300 lbs didn't do anything either, so I guess MY groove is in the middle of that.
I've searched the internet over and still can't find out what Bill Goldberg does for his.

What I have been doing recently is to do my heavy sets and then finish off with a moderate weight to increase the ROM and get all the licks in as it may be. I figure this is covering all the bases. It seems to be working no matter what but thought I would check to see what everyone else was doing/thinking.

Thanks all.

Back