Simplifying my routine!!!

_Simon_

okay, i'm already half way through my 10s, i might consider changing Squat/Deadlift
Bench Press
Lat Pulldown
Close Grip Bench Press (switching to Dips at end of 5s)
Underhand Pulldowns (switching to Chins at end of 5s)
Military Press
Wide-grip Rows
Shrugs

1x15, 2x10, 3x5

to

Squat/Deadlift
Bench Press
Underhand Pulldown (Chins in 5s)
Military Press or Close Grip Bench Press (Dips in 5s)...
maybe Shrugs

2x15, 3x10, 4/5x5

the SECOND option i have less exercises but increased volume, but i'm not sure about the Mil Press or Close Grip, i want my arm development to be up to par with my other development (which it ISN'T atm which i'm starting to think because of all the exercises involving the tris and bis...)
so i'm thinking if i just stick with my strongest movements, the ones which i'm using the MOST load (in comparison to the other ones i have in there like CG Bench) like bench.

I'm not strong enough to do 15 or 10 chins or dips, but i really want them to be a part of the routine so i use it in the 5s where i'm sure i can get about 5 reps.

and i'm not sure that underhand Pulldowns should be the only thing i should do for back... i've mainly got it there for an emphasis on biceps and close grip bench was for triceps, should i keep lat pulldown? i dunno :S

and for lateral delts i need mil press... unless to eliminate the triceps i do lateral raises? (which ISN'T that strong a movement anyways.....)

plus i keep reading stuff about the benefits of higher volume and so on, so yeah.

if anyone could comment on this routine or if you have done a brief more simple routine yourself and can tell me your results with it it would be much appreciated! thanks
biggrin.gif

personally i wouldnt change anything, id see the whole cycle through with what you are doing now.i think it looks fine.

the other options you have put forward could be used effectively in your next cycle.

I agree with the above - SD is the perfect time to assess what worked , what could be changed , ect. Unless a plan of attack is just crazy wrong (yours is not- perhaps could be improved but not "crazy wrong" by any means) the first cycle is really a learning experience as you get experiencial "knowledge" that you can read about from here to eternity but never really "get" till experienced. I'd stick with it and observe the whole thing very carefully - taking notes ect.
wink.gif

You don't want to get into the habit of changing things too frequently I've seen many a bro brought down by this kind of thing. Like bulking for two weeks before deciding you are getting too fat, then cutting for a couple weeks before you decide you hate cutting and like bulking, or squatting for a couple weeks before decided to swap it for leg presses, etc etc etc. Indecision and lack of concrete goals/routines/plans/etc is like the anathema of progress.

Like Russ said, unless you are doing something really dumb, stick with it until the end of the cycle.

For you next cycle, you could combine deadlift with shrug by ending the deadlift with a shrug. Not because you can use a heavier weight that you should. If a lighter weight stimulates as much growth, use it. Stick with your current exercise selection to the end of this cycle.

Concerning exercise selection.
Read this, please: http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....;t=4610

Concerning the benefit of higher volume.
Read this carefully, please: http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....;t=4628

ah ok thanks heaps everyone, i'll stick with it for now ;)

i just keep reading regarding TOTAL reps per session per muscle group should be 25-50, but meh i can't be bothered thinking anymore i'll do my head in again
biggrin.gif

thanks again!

<div>
(_Simon_ @ Aug. 21 2007,13:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">ah ok thanks heaps everyone, i'll stick with it for now ;)

i just keep reading regarding TOTAL reps per session per muscle group should be 25-50, but meh i can't be bothered thinking anymore i'll do my head in again
biggrin.gif

thanks again!</div>
judging by all your posts simon, you need to do less thinking and more training
wink.gif

keep on with what you are doing,dont end up one of those guys that changes his workout every 2wks because he read something different.

if you start a routine give it a couple of months to see if you get results.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

haha thanks yeah, nah i never change my routine when i hear something new usually, but this has me intrigued all this talk and studies and blaahhhh anyways, i'll keep goin, thanks faz.

Back