Skipping 15s and routine critique

citizenkris

I've been following HST for a few years now, but have never run a cycle where I skipped the 15s, and I'm thinking I'd like to try that for my next one which will be starting in about two weeks. I've a few threads on the topic, and I'm looking for advice on what the current best practice is - would it be to run a 6 week cycle doing:

10, 5, post-5, possible extending the post-5's depending on how I'm feeling

or an 8 week cycle doing:

10, 10, 5, post-5

For the second version, I saw a thread recommending that each weight increment be performed twice in a row, rather than increasing each workout, since it really would take longer than one workout to adjust to the RBE.

I'm also going to take this next cycle as a chance to "simply and win" with this:

Squats alternated with deadifts
Bench alternated with dips
Chins (I've always gotten more out of chins than rows, so I'm going to try an entire cycle of just chins)
Hang clean and press (clean and press starting with the bar at knee height)
Incline curls
Close grip bench press
Weighted crunches
Seated calf raises

Any advice or suggestions?

I can move a fair amount of weight with my calves, and when I load the standing machine the shoulder pad ends up pulling my left shoulder forward and out of alignment. I definitely prefer the range of motion and stretch of doing them standing, but not at the risk of sacrificing my shoulder health. I've done that too many times already :)

This will be kinder to your joints, possibly more productive:

Squats alternated with deadifts
Bench alternated with dips
Chins
Overhead press
Close grip bench press
one leg standing calf raises, hold a dumbell on the working side, or use a bar

Don't skip the 15s.

HTH

I think your routine is fine. I also skip the 15s.

Also my calves are larger than ever and all I have been doing is seated raises . Best results of my life. Donkeys are probably another possibility, but why change what works?

Leg Press used for calf raises is best IMO, just contacting with the ball --> toes of the foot. I used to be doing 400kg this way, jumping over the moon during pick up games etc.

Leg Press used for calf raises is best IMO, just contacting with the ball --> toes of the foot. I used to be doing 400kg this way, jumping over the moon during pick up games etc.

Yeah that is a great way to do calves as well, basically like a machine donkey raise.

That's interesting, Sci. It's good to hear you've had success with them. When I've tried seated calf raises, I never feel the muscles that I think of as my calves actually contract that hard. I usually feel it more in the muscles running along side my shins instead of the meaty bits right below the back of my knees. Different exercises for different muscles, I suppose.

That's interesting, Sci. It's good to hear you've had success with them. When I've tried seated calf raises, I never feel the muscles that I think of as my calves actually contract that hard. I usually feel it more in the muscles running along side my shins instead of the meaty bits right below the back of my knees. Different exercises for different muscles, I suppose.

Well technically seated activates the soleus more, while gastrocnemius are activated more with a straight leg...but either way both muscles are contracting hard in both variations. I have noticed growth in the gastrocnemius as well as the soleus, ( the soleus is a large flat muscle underneath the "meaty part" which is the gastrocnemius, the bulgy thing on top.)

Last edited:
Sci, do you stretch out the 10s or 5s, or keep your cycle at 6 weeks?

I keep it at 6 weeks. My recovery ability doesn't allow for longer stretches at this point in my life. After two weeks of 2x10, 2 weeks of 3x5, then two weeks of breaking my 5RM, I am ready for an SD.

So, after you complete your 3x5 you start two weeks block again 3x5 but with what weights ? You mean breaking your 5RM as starting your firts day of the first week with the max weights from your last 2x3x5 and work your way to increase them every possible time ?

So, after you complete your 3x5 you start two weeks block again 3x5 but with what weights ? You mean breaking your 5RM as starting your firts day of the first week with the max weights from your last 2x3x5 and work your way to increase them every possible time ?

That's usually what I try to do with the post-5's, since I train alone and don't have a spotter to do negatives. I typically cluster my sets/reps during these weeks though so I can still move the target weight for the rep range, and not hit failure.

I will do negatives on the few movements that I can do them solo on though, like dips, chins, maybe standing push presses.

Yes, that is what he does. Continue incrementing beyond your 5 RM and push for new 5 RMs until you find new maxes, then use those new maxes to plot out your next HST cycle.

Okey. Thank you for the respond. Just to clarify, i dont continue incrementing every workout if i see that cant push my self beyond my rm in order to avoid failure. It will be something like 2 consecutive workouts with the same weight and then when i feel that i have the power to increase the weight i do it, right ? And when i find my new 5RM maxes i use a calculator to calculate my 15 and 10 RM's ?

Back