SLDL vs. DL vs. Clean Pulls

_tim

If this has been answered in the past, forgive me as I looked but didn't find anything.

I'm in the beginnings of my 5's and have been doing SLDL's only through my cycle thus far. As the weight goes up (and hence the strain on the lower back goes up) should I consider switching to conventional deads or even clean pulls (a liege suggestion)? I have loved doing the SLDL's thus far, but wanted to get a few opinions on the matter. Mind you, at this point, this is just a genuine curiosity of mine; I have no back pain from the SLDL's per se - I just want to maximize my results. If I stay the course, that's perfectly fine with me.

One thing for you to consider: I do squats EVERY workout.

That said, what's your opinion?

Thanks,
Tim

If you are set on doing squats every workout, I'd stick to SLDL's. If you wouldn't mind taking 1 day of squats a week, I'd give that to conventional deads. Unless you are really trying to simply focus on your hams and lower back.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 20 2007,16:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you are set on doing squats every workout, I'd stick to SLDL's. If you wouldn't mind taking 1 day of squats a week, I'd give that to conventional deads. Unless you are really trying to simply focus on your hams and lower back.</div>
Thanks Gator -

For this cycle, I'm gonna stick with squats every time unless someone can convince me otherwise. I look at squats as a cornerstone of my workout, right or wrong. I sorta took that stance when I started constructing my workout and haven't let go of the thought. Overall leg and lower back development is crucial for me, HST or not. 9 years of gymnastics destroyed 'em - now it's my job to make 'em wicked strong.

Well, considering your mid-cycle... I wouldn't advise making any major exercise corrections anyways unless you've come onto a problem.  If it's working for you, no need to fix it.  However, maybe on your next cycle, you can decide if you want to try putting in some conventional DL's or tinkering with the frequency of your squats.  Your routine now seems solid.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 20 2007,16:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well, considering your mid-cycle... I wouldn't advise making any major exercise corrections anyways unless you've come onto a problem. If it's working for you, no need to fix it. However, maybe on your next cycle, you can decide if you want to try putting in some conventional DL's or tinkering with the frequency of your squats. Your routine now seems solid.</div>
Great advice, Gator. That's sorta what I thought, but I always have a shred of doubt when I look back at my routine after I read through the forum.

In any case, thanks.

I'm with Gator. If you are serious about lower back and leg development, then you need conventional deads, so I would seriously consider putting them in next cycle. Alternate with squats.

I did SLDLs and squats every workout for my first 6 months of HST. After that I switched to squats 2 x weekly and deads in between. I haven't performed SLDLs many times since. I just fell in love with regular deads. There's nothing quite like them.

I wouldn't recommend switching from SLDLs to regular deads mid-cycle, especially if you are new to the exercise. Starting with regular deads next cycle will afford you the opportunity to practice the movement with a lighter weight during 15s. Once you get to the heavy end of the cycle you should be much more familiar with the movement.

Imo, nothing beats deadlifts for adding mass to your back thickness and hamstring/glutes. Its the ultimate posterior chain exercise. My back and hamstrings swole up when I started deadlifting. I grew some traps too.
biggrin.gif

Let me add my opinion here:

Gator, Lol and Tot are on the mark, whilst deads are great to do, it'd be silly to swap now, but for teh next cycle...yes, add them instead, but we all feel they must be worked at from the beggining.

I don't know about the guys I mentioned, but I am quite sure they'll agree that the only productive changes one can make mid-cycle is to drop unnecessary stuff and go heavy on what's left.

Switching exercises like Squats and deadlifts late in teh program ain't gonna be good for yah.
wink.gif

Thanks for setting me straight, guys. My current program is going really, really well; I'm not sure why I find the need to question it as often as I do. I have, as Fausto said, dropped a couple of the exercises I was doing early on, and now just focus on what I consider to be my core exercises as the weight continues to rise.

I'll definitely include conventional deads in my next cycle.

I'm kinda surprised that liege didn't make his case for clean pulls - I figured our resident Olympic lifter would present a different side of the argument.
smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I figured our resident Olympic lifter would present a different side of the argument</div>

The last thread where Oly lifting was discussed went terribly wrong, go figure, thats probably why, or maybe he just ain't around for a while!

<div>
(_tim @ Jun. 21 2007,09:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm kinda surprised that liege didn't make his case for clean pulls - I figured our resident Olympic lifter would present a different side of the argument.
smile.gif
</div>
I've just been off the board for a few days.
biggrin.gif

Conventional deadlifts are the overall best because the loads will be heavier. However, when you're pulling 2x bodyweight, it tends to fatigue you. I've learned my lesson, I'm not deadlifting for a couple of months. When I deadlift again, it'll only be once every 10 days or so. I just can't take 450+ loads every week when training 5x a week for up to 10 weeks straight.

The clean pull allows for some heavy loads, but not so heavy you're too fatigued the next few days and you can work them more frequently. You can mix them up with squat or power cleans

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Conventional deadlifts are the overall best because the loads will be heavier. However, when you're pulling 2x bodyweight, it tends to fatigue you. I've learned my lesson, I'm not deadlifting for a couple of months. When I deadlift again, it'll only be once every 10 days or so. I just can't take 450+ loads every week when training 5x a week for up to 10 weeks straight.</div>

I totally agree, the guys who are doing deads more than once p/ week cannot be pulling that much, it just gets too much.
wow.gif

Back