Smith machine ok?

JSmith

The gym I belong to has three of these and only one free squat rack. So most of the time the free rack is being used and I end up using the Smith machine. Since I always start off with my squats. I notice when I do get to use the free rack it feels a little better on my back.

I take it your feeling is free is better. Also the set I have at home (Body Solid) is a smith machine also. I am just starting out so I guess it's better than nothing. For the bench I using DB

John

You aren't using the stabilizer muscles that you would normally be using on a free rack. If you work out with that for a long period of time, and try to use similar weight on a free rack later on, your lower back will pay the price. I'd certainly say it's better than nothing, and if that's all you have at the house then I understand, but I would def. try to use the free rack.

I've never actually used a Smith, and damn, that video made sure I'll never use a thumbless bench grip. That could have killed him, and no doubt did some damage!

I can see how a smith machine could be a useful tool for bodybuilding. But then I think about doing the same thing with a real, free-weight barbell and the smith machine just seems like a pussie-way of doing it. But thats just me.

I think I would only use a Smith machine for calf raises and shrugs

If you have room for a Smith machine at home why not just get a rack and a bar instead? So much more versatile. Now I should shut up and get on with building mine!
smile.gif

I started off doing squats with a smith machine simply because that was what was available to me.

It was a whole different world when I finally was able to start doing squats freely.

It's better than nothing, but given the choice, I'll never do them on a smith machine again.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am just starting out so I guess it's better than nothing</div>

I appreciate that you are just starting out and that you may still have a lot to learn, but no, it is not better than nothing. The smith machine is a good way to hurt your back/knees in the short or long term.

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Jun. 09 2007,17:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Clean and front squat.</div>
Amen to that.

I agree with liege and bgates - the Smithy is OK for front squats, but only when you are getting going. If you front squat heavy on the Smithy, expect to drop the weight by at least 30% (probably more than that even) when you make the transition to a free barbell. I'll echo the dangers - namely destroying your lower back, that doesn't get the kind of work on a Smithy than on a free barbell, and your knees as well; you'll tend to put undue stress on your knees because your core won't have the kind of strength it needs to keep your body properly aligned, throwing your body forward and damagin your knees something crazy.

Be careful, man. Be smart about it and you'll be OK - but the second you try to go one to one between the Smithy and a barbell, you'll probably be out 8 weeks with a crazy sore back and bad knees to boot.

All points taken.

Thanks for the advice. I'll just wait for the rack to open up at the gym to do the squats. As for the guy in the video he is an idiot.

I guess it was a stupid question since I already figured what you would say.

take care
John

<div>
(JSmith @ Jun. 11 2007,12:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">All points taken.

Thanks for the advice. I'll just wait for the rack to open up at the gym to do the squats. As for the guy in the video he is an idiot.

I guess it was a stupid question since I already figured what you would say.

take care
John</div>
That is true

Two reasons:
1) Too much weight for that skinny little kid
2) I think he had bad form.

As for the bench well.....
Yeah he was just an idiot
biggrin.gif

Good luck dude

I squat with the Smith machine. Why? Many reasons. I'm 54 and I'm totally done playing sports so having strength that transfers into other aspects of my life is less important. I'm a bodybuilder not a powerlifter and feel that I can get better feel by concentrating on the muscles I'm working rather than stablizing the weight I have on my shoulders. Hitting a controlled 5 rep set of 315 lbs is good enough for me nowdays.

My lower back tends to be a bit shaky at times and again the Smith machine lets me concentrate better. Unlike many people I see in the gyms I train in, I do full squats until I feel my hams and calves touch. Yeah - I could do what a lot of young guys in my gym do - slap a ton of weight on the bar, squat 18 inches and make a loud noise when they return the weight to the rack. I just know that training like that is just not productive - for me.

So I'll be the odd one and say I SQUAT ON A SMITH!!

P.S. For those of you that remember Blade - I think he also squats on a Smith  
cool.gif

Firm

_tim: I believe Liege and bGates were meaning that instead of backsquatting with a Smith you can always clean and then front squat instead (I could be wrong though).

Firm, I think your reasons for using a Smith are good ones and at the end of the day it's a personal choice. Just as some folks squat with bad form so they could use bad form in a Smith. Both could lead to problems. Experience really helps. If I had to use a Smith I'm pretty sure I could use it safely but I would always start out with a light weight until I found the groove.

Here's a comment from Blade quoted from this thread:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One of the main arguments against Smith squats were that the hamstrings would be recruited less, hence the stability of the knee joint would be compromised. I read a study where just this premise was tested, and the hamstrings showed about equal recruitment between Smith vs. regular squats.

Foot placement is important, so just experiment until you find the better 'groove' for the movement. On my last cycle I did another horrific no-no on squats (regular), I used a wedged block of wood to elevate my heels which enabled me to go deeper without leaning excessively forward. </div>
It seems that Blade only switched to Smith machine squats because he was having problems with regular squats. This was also way back in 2003 so perhaps there has been more research done since then?

When I tried Smith squats I just hated the feel of the restricted line of motion. I hated it for bench too, but I quite liked it for shoulder press. Personal biomechanics do really seem to make a difference but I can't help feeling that, for the majority of lifters, learning to exercise with free-weights (allowing for a more natural movement) has to be a good place to start.

<div>
(Lol @ Jun. 11 2007,16:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">_tim: I believe Liege and bGates were meaning that instead of backsquatting with a Smith you can always clean and then front squat instead (I could be wrong though).</div>
Yeah, that's what I meant, clean a BB from the floor and front squat. I think the smith machine should be avoided. I see no advantages, but there are disadvantages. Are presses supposed to done with a fixed plane? Doesn't a proper press have at least a slight arc? OH pressing, at least when done in front, requires an arc so the bar ends over the ears. That's impossible with a SM.

Not that it's the fault of the machine, but having the bar moving in a fixed plane enables people to use horrible form not possible with a BB. Just tonight someone was using the SM for &quot;squats&quot;. It was painful to watch. She got under the bar with her feet at least 2 feet in front of her.

There are disadvantages for cleaning a weight before squatting it. the predominant one being you limit the load.
If the gym has miminal proper squat racks its unlikely they will have bumper plates or even a decent barbell which is great if you love shoulder injuries.

Just yesterday I saw somebody trying to clean a barbell. It was painful to watch. He got under the bar with some weird reverse curl combined with a seizure, contorting himself in the process to get the bar up.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">using the SM for &quot;squats&quot;. It was painful to watch. She got under the bar with her feet at least 2 feet in front of her. </div>

Butt press.
biggrin.gif

Well I just ended my 2nd week of 5's yesterday. I used the free squat rack for the squats and it was a little tougher than I was ready for but all in all MUCH better on my back. I guess my form on the SM was far from perfect.

John

Back