So Im wondering, whos stretched the 5's out...

need2eat

Instead of upping the lbs to your 5 rep max, anyone go ahead and increase your 5 rep max, say 10 lbs and just increment up to that?

Im noticing some simillarities between this program and some strength training, especially the 5's...so Im thinking of doing this.

Thoughts?

I stay at my 5 rep max usually for 4 weeks. If my strength increases, I increase the weight or slow my tempo down to make up for it.

I will add pounds slowly but surely during the post-5's. I'll just progressively load, so the first couple days will be the strength increases with the following being lower-rep days.

I think you should always stretch the 5s out, but I like to incorporate negatives into some lifts. Still, by extending the 5s, you can easily stretch your cycle out by several weeks.

I agree with Totentanz. I've always made good strength gains by extending the 5's. As long as there isn't joint pain and you're still gaining, there isn't any reason to stop. Milk the gains for as long as you can.

The last two cycles I've not been able to do negatives post 5's, mostly because of the exercises I'm using, so I've tried to add 5 lbs every other workout, unless I struggled with the current weight the last workout (5 lbs doesn't sound like much but it can mean a big difference sometimes, even on big exercises like deadlifts).

WEll...set up the program...

started the first day of 15's....

wow...going from 3X5's to 1X5 full body, I sure felt the aerobic effect...
biggrin.gif

This is gonna be interesting.

later

Extending the 5's should always be one of your goals for a cycle. What I try to do always is extend for a week using my absolute 5rm, then the next week after that I try to add 5-10lbs (depending on what lift it is). It's a great motivation enhancer to actually see the RM improve
laugh.gif
Of course, there are cycles that just don't make it, but all's good anyway.

Regards,
-JV

You could also extend the cycle further by doing a few weeks of a 3x3 type workout (compounds - squats, deads, bench, row) like in the intensity phase of a 5x5 program.

Yeah, that would be great to get your strength up before you start your next HST cycle. You should probably be able to set PRs for a few weeks on that.

Back