"Split Routine"

sdaves26

Over the last few years, I have tried many different types of routines. However, I have had the most success with a push/pull routine which consists of two days of heavy low rep training early in the week, followed buy two days of light weight high rep training later in the week. My question is, I want to go back to split body part training, as I have been training for many years, however is this still effective as opposed to a full body routine? My sats are 6'3 205 at 11% body fat, however I am trying to get down to around 9-10% while maintaining my lean muscle. It took me a long time to get to this weight and I want to keep it. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It took me a long time to get to this weight and I want to keep it.</div>
To get to 9% bf you'll only need to drop about 5lb if you are able to pretty much maintain your present lean mass. Note, though, that you will have to drop some weight. It is highly unlikely that, at your already fairly low bf level, you will be able to add lean mass while dropping fat to change your ratio of bf to lean mass.

Thanks for the advice. So basically at this point, I have to options. One is to focus on cardio to drop a little more bodyfat and not expect to gain lean muscle mass. or just continue to lift heavy and keep the same bf level. I still feel like I could easily carry another 15-20 pounds of weight though. The interesting thing is that some people think I am still very lean even at 205 but If I gain more weight, part of it would be fat. Trying to decide whether I want to get a little lower on bf or bulk to 215 or so. Any ideas?

You like what you see in the mirror or you don't. Bulk or cut is up to you, but I'm sure the guys will agree that doing the heavy lifting while cutting is the way to go for the cut. Gaining a little fat is part of the game unless you want a slow bulk.
Now a question for YOU...
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">push/pull routine which consists of two days of heavy low rep training early in the week, followed buy two days of light weight high rep training later in the week</div> I wonder did you mean that was successful for bulking or overall development, or...? I like the idea; haven't tried it before. With splits I tend to stay heavy. Sounds like a bulker program.

After doing some research on push/pull routines, I came up with a hybrid version which I tailored for my own personal goals. Basically how it works is I lift heavy for one push session and one pull session early in the week. I will rest a day or two then repeat one light push session and one pull session. An example; mon-heavy push, tue-heavy pull, wed-rest/light cardio, thur-light push, fri-light pull. I like to focus on mostly compound lifts, however I will add some isolation movements in, usually on the light days with higher reps if there is a muscle group that needs more work.

I find that for me, full body workouts don't necessarily allow me to focus enough attention on one given muscle group. However, I still like to apply the HSP principles to my workout.

I'm doing it right now, using IF and liftiing heavy; seems to be working somewhat. I think I've gotten addicted to splits regardless. Lets me lift harder, and don't feel rushed.

I have found that push/pull split works very well for bulking. The full body routines seem to work better for cutting. However, as I mentioned full body dosen't always allow me to focus on one or two muscles per workout that splits do. The bottom line is lift heavy and eat clean most of the time. I like to mix high reps and light weights and heavy weights and low reps. This keeps your body guessing which is one of the most important things.

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 13 2008,21:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm doing it right now, using IF and liftiing heavy; seems to be working somewhat. I think I've gotten addicted to splits regardless. Lets me lift harder, and don't feel rushed.</div>
agreed!

i just cant get the same intensity from anything else.ive always felt rushed when doing hst, although ive never tried an a/b split which could have improved the situation slightly.

Back