squats and deadlifts - shoulder joint and grip

jmm

Am near the the end of a cycle, so lifting weights where I'm near failure after 5reps (just got squats and deads to 100kg
biggrin.gif
I know others lift much more, but it's still a lot more than I was lifting before...)

A couple of slight problems, though. I'm struggling a bit to hang onto the bar for deads - any suggestions?

Also, after one or two squats with 'work' (not warmup) weight, my right shoulder kind-of clicks forwards...almost like clicking your knuckles, but a bit disconcerting. Doesn't hurt, and back to normal after a couple of shrugs when the squats are done, but is this likely to cause problems? Worth using a cushion or something.

TIA.

<div>
(jmm @ Apr. 24 2007,15:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I'm struggling a bit to hang onto the bar for deads - any suggestions?</div>
Alternated grip + hook grip= best mechanics.
smile.gif

<div>
(jmm @ Apr. 24 2007,16:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Am near the the end of a cycle, so lifting weights where I'm near failure after 5reps (just got squats and deads to 100kg
biggrin.gif
I know others lift much more, but it's still a lot more than I was lifting before...)

A couple of slight problems, though.  I'm struggling a bit to hang onto the bar for deads - any suggestions?

Also, after one or two squats with 'work' (not warmup) weight, my right shoulder kind-of clicks forwards...almost like clicking your knuckles, but a bit disconcerting.  Doesn't hurt, and back to normal after a couple of shrugs when the squats are done, but is this likely to cause problems?  Worth using a cushion or something.

TIA.</div>
Use straps and train your grip after you workout until you don't need straps any longer. There are a million articles on the web to teach you how to strengthen your grip. Get something called a manta ray for squats. Do a google on it.

as steve and russ said.you could also try some chalk you can get a ball type chalk from a climbing store.
BTW a lot of guys cant do 100k so
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Why not give grip strength training a shot?

Training grip can be fun (see my grip strength thread on the SST forum). It's really helped my deadlifting. Even though I still use straps for my heaviest sets I am feeling more and more powerful for the first few reps. Once I was able to deadlift 400lbs I found that my grip would start to fail after a few reps even when using straps. I just couldn't keep a tight hold on the bar. After a few months of grip strength training that is no longer the case. I also stopped using gloves and started using chalk. My hands are now toughening up nicely.

Re, your shoulder problem: Be sure to retract your scapula and really bunch up your traps when you set-up for squatting (ie. shoulders back, chest up). Make a conscious effort not to let your shoulders drop during the set and keep looking forward.

thanks - will give things a try. Probably try alternated grip/training grip/pushing back shoulders 1st, and look to get a manta ray (nice looking bit of kit btw) and straps if that don't work out...

Right, changed grip seems to be working. Bunching shoulders back is helping, so will see if that improves. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back