Squats and SLDL in the same workout?

bellingerp

Guys I'm converted !! Making good gains at 45 and training for about 18 months with no real gains until HST !! I'm guessing that I was overtraining before.

But my question is ... I've taken the example program from the HST intro which has Squats and SLDL in the same workout...

I've seen plenty of notes not recommending this ?

I'm confused as to why this is in the example program ?

Should I really Alternate squats and SLDL ? I'm concern that I might start overtraining again - especially when things start getting heavy !

Cheers Pete

Who recommends against that?

I think the only recommendations you will see is against squats and conventional deadlifts in the same workout. Actual deadlifts are a very different lift from SLDL.

Thanks Totentanz

I have to confess until you pointed this out I was keeping my legs straight - which was putting strain on my back !!

I have just youtube'd this exercise to understand the difference.

Cheers Pete

Yeah, you'll want to keep your knees slightly bent. Also, look at the difference between a romanian deadlift and the stiff leg deadlift. I prefer romanians myself. I think this video shows a side comparison pretty well:

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I've never had the nerve even to try a Straight Leg Deadlift. It looks far too dangerous for my back...!

Guys I'm converted !! Making good gains at 45 and training for about 18 months with no real gains until HST !! I'm guessing that I was overtraining before.

But my question is ... I've taken the example program from the HST intro which has Squats and SLDL in the same workout...

I've seen plenty of notes not recommending this ?

I'm confused as to why this is in the example program ?

Should I really Alternate squats and SLDL ? I'm concern that I might start overtraining again - especially when things start getting heavy !

Cheers Pete

I did SLDLs during higher rep ranges and switched to conventional as the loads got heavy. Never felt overtrained alternating squats and deads - either type.

Back