Start with 1 set or 2 sets?

javierdl

I believe I have enough info and understanding now to switch to HST today!!!!
The only piece of info I seem to be missing is: should/could I start with a "1 set routine" or should it be 2 sets as shown in the HST Notes page?

Thanks in advance,

JDL

You can't do a second set until you do the first set. See how you feel after that. I stick with 1 set for the 15's. It's all I need to achieve the intended purpose of that rep range.

Typically you may need more sets for the 10's or 5's but perhaps not. It depends on too many factors to even guess.

Mmmm, I'm not sure I understand.
I thought I were to change num of sets only every cycle.
But if I'm to do it every 2weeks block, wouldn't that mean that I'm to do 8 sets in the last 2weeks block?

Or is there a predefined way you can tell me about?

JDL

Most people on the forum start out with the following:

15's 1 set
10's 2 sets
5's and negs 3 sets

After a couple of cycles you will be able to judge just how much volume you may need. There are too many variables to determine what is right for everyone but give the above a try to start out.

This helps big time!
Thanks a bunch O&G
smile.gif

JDL

The 15s absolutely killed me on my 1st cycle and nearly did the same on my 2nd. And since it was my first and second cycles I went with 1 set throughout all the rep ranges and I still got tremendous results.

For my third I'm shooting for 1 15s, 2 10s, and maybe 3 5s if I can handle it.

I think its more an individual thing. I just turned 35 a couple weeks ago and just don't have the endurance for multiset 15s using HST, but I'm sure I had enough when I was younger. And age is just one factor.

From what I have learned, in my humble opinion, I really don't think multiple sets of 15s are necessary anyway. Your focus is on joints and storage capacity of your muscles/capillaries, not on hypertrophy.

KoD, I am so glad you share this now, as age is certainly a concern of mine too (41), and I've never been particularly strong anyway, so I'll consider your idea of sticking with 1 set for the 1st and 2nd cycles too.

Cheers

JDL

the idea is to keep the work load around the same through the whole 8 wks so
1x 15s=15
2x 10s= 20
3x 5s= 15
try it and see how you feel if its to much drop a set then next cycle just add a set....
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I agree with faz. The point I was making was that HST was very good for me even using only one set throughout the rep ranges. I went from 145 to 175 (5 lbs was a gut I've now lost) in 2 cycles (8 weeks). Who knows what I could have gained had I increased the sets.

I think I was so responsive because although I've lifted off an on since I was about 14 yrs old I've never hit my hardgainer body with such a productive workout AND diet AND rest.

So for years my body has probably been literally aching to grow (at least somewhat) but couldn't and when given what was needed I hit a real growth spurt! Obviously my growth response to HST using always 1 set wasn't very typical.
laugh.gif

That's why I'm so excited about my next cycle, as I will be adding the needed volume and really kick start some more!
wink.gif
Gonna throw in some creatine this time if possible too!
biggrin.gif

So I guess my point was do what is best for you but if you can't handle multiple sets don't worry about it, do what your body can handle....and your body WILL respond!

Good luck.
smile.gif

I used one set for 15`s.. but it feelt way to light, I even tried decreasing rep speeds and followed the "right" increments
so Ill be aiming for a total of 20 or 25 reps fer exercise, Ill just choose the one that feels right for me after testing some more..
cool.gif

Back