start

14 years of age?

Personally, unless you are a genetic oddity and prone to hyper musculature with little of no effort, I would look to some other sports other than weightlifting at your age. Light strength training is okay, but play some team sports or tennis or cycling. it is more fun than being in the gym at 14 years of age.

Don´t forget ..................GIRLS!!!!!!!!

14 years of age?

Personally, unless you are a genetic oddity and prone to hyper-musculature with little or no effort,  I would look to some other sports other than weightlifting at your age. Light strength training is okay, but play some team sports or tennis or cycling. It is more fun than being in the gym at 14 years of age.

Don´t forget ............cheerleaders......GIRLS!!!!!!!!

Sammy, I am not in full accord with the Dr!
smile.gif

if you want to hit the weights that's great. My pop took me lifting when I was 12! I really enjoyed it. I got stronger pretty quickly (mainly conditioning) and just became a better all round sporty kid. I didn't pack on much muscle but I now understand that it was a combination of things. As a kid I was very active (as I'm sure you are too). There were no such things as PS2s so I was always out biking, skateboarding, climbing, whatever. In order to put on muscle you have to eat a lot (best not to eat junk too) and it may be that your daily activities and testosterone levels at present will prevent any great gains. However, you will see a difference and you also have the benefit of sites like this to guide you.

I now have a 12 year old son and he's going to be starting some lifting this holiday. Nothing too strenuous. 10-15 reps of each exercise and, very importantly, I will be teaching him about each exercise and helping him to learn good form.

So, start off learning to do the main compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bent-over rowing, chins, dips, bench press, shoulder press (and some biceps curls and triceps extensions if you like) under supervision. Try to keep your w/o to a half an hour or so three times a week. And do this for a few months, keeping the reps to around 12-15. Once you are happy with the exercises you are doing you could do a kind of HST. Start a cycle with 16 reps per exercise for 2 weeks, then two weeks of 12s, then 2 weeks of 8s. It's fun to change the rep ranges and lift a bit heavier but you need to have good form first.

I am sure the girls will notice your efforts but results don't come quickly. If you start now and keep it up throughout your schooling you will have built a pretty good physique by the time you are 18.

All the best!

Now if you'd asked me a couple of weeks ago - HST would have been the "only" way to go; however, no.1 son has just started boxing (he's 13) and I must say the results are outstanding. In only three official trips to the Gym, his co-ordination, strength and attitude to working out has improved.
Boxing Gym once a week (wed) - for technique, heavybag work & inspiration
Weights twice (mon/sat) - inc bench/power clean/DB snatch/DB lunges/pullup/wrist roller/offset DB
Hook & jab pads (tues/thurs) with a plyo style warm up (3mins x 4)
Conditioning (fri) rope jumps/burpees/pressups/squat jumps etc (3mins x 4)

He's ripped to shreds & muscles are bulging out everywhere... not to mention that the grocery bill have gone thru' the roof

Make your muscle functional - then apply yourself to getting bigger; it's easier this way round... and have some fun along the way!!!

Well, I would do some research on the effects of lifting weights on the epiphysial growth zones adolescent bones.

Of course an adolescent that starts lifting will exhibit hefty gains.
The body is in growing mode.

Whether it is advisable for an adolescent to lift weights for the same reasons adults do it is, at least for me, questionable as to its long term effects on NORMAL body developement.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Make your muscle functional - then apply yourself to getting bigger; it's easier this way round... and have some fun along the way!!!</div>

Your muscle wil function according to what you condition it to do. Most important thing is that you use it, whether that be through weight training or some other activity. 'Serious gains' will come with time, perseverance, a decent training regime and lots of food! Just don't expect to look like the guys in the BB mags anytime soon. They are all heavily into steroids and other hormonal type drugs.

If you are enthusiastic about having a go with the weights then go for it. Use it as an addition to your other activities. Think about what kind of sport or activity you want to get better at and then train accordingly. If you want advice on this you can always ask here.

Here's an interesting article I found on resistance training during preadolescence:

Preadolescence Training

I take the point about possible damage to epiphyseal growth zones but it does seem that this is more likely to occur from high impact sports rather than weightlifting, particularly if the rep range is reasonably high and low reps and maximal single lifts are avoided.

Good post by restless (post #29) here with lots of refs too:

Teenagers and Strength Traning

Weightlifting shouldn't damage growth plates as long as the lifter doesn't get overeager, using more weight than he/she can handle. Otherwise all those kids doing weights in high school would be 5'2.

For teenagers who want to lift weights, I believe it is best to stick to the main compounds to build a solid foundation of strength.

He did say &quot;Serious Gains&quot; which semantically, at least, would require &quot;Serious&quot; lifting in the spirit of this board and MAY pose a &quot;Serious&quot; health risk at the age of 14 given that &quot;Serious&quot; gains ion muscle mass are often concurrent with &quot;Serious&quot; usage of synthetic gorwth stimulants.

In the very least, the original poster may have gotten the point that he, should be &quot;Serious&quot; about his desire for &quot;Serious&quot; gains and achieve his goals after &quot;Serious&quot; consideration as to the proper ways and means.

Pierre

Let us consider that serious means different things to different people
biggrin.gif
and that indeed there are a variety of ways to do this without any so called damage!
rock.gif

Back