Starting 2nd HST Cycle... QUESTIONS

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_hangi24-7
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_hangi24-7

I just finished my first HST cycle and I liked it so I'm going to have another go, but I have some questions.

1) I have read 45-60 minutes is the optimal time for a workout, is it a problem that mine regularly take over an hour? Here's my routine:

Squats
Calf Raises
Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Bench Press
Bent Over Rows
Chins
Dips
Military Press
Close Grip Bench Press

Is there anything wrong with my routine? I work out at home, so preparing exercises and including warmup sets my workouts take about 70-80 minutes. Is this a problem?

2) Should I still "HST" my calves? I only have enough weights for my 10 rep max (I do calf raises with a platform and a barbell across my shoulders). So I won't be able to do 5rep maxes, plus holding a barbell with a sh*t load of weight across your shoulders while tip toeing on a platform isn't that appealing for me

3) I did a 2x10 rep scheme for my dips and chins. Should I be "HSTing" them as well, like adding weights so I can only do 5 reps, etc.... or this scheme OK for my entire 8 week cycle?

4) I am SDing for 11 days, but the problem is that I play team sports so I will be still training (running etc...), how badly will this affect my lower body gains and will my upper body gains still be OK?

5) I am only 132 pounds and I am planning to gain mass. Because of my metabolism (I'm only 17) I need to eat 2800+ calories a day for this. Following HSN, this would mean 140g protein, 78g fat, and 450g carbs!

Isn't this too much carbs?

Thanks in advance!

Wow, your routine looks really similar to what I've been doing, minus the close grip bench press, and with good mornings instead of stiff leg deadlift. But other than that, the routine is very similar to mine. That's cool.
My routine only takes about an hour. What are you doing for warmup? Personally, I feel that all you need to do for warmup is some quick bodyweight exercises. I do pushups, jumping jacks, etc. But some people find that they need more of a warmup to avoid injury, so that's something you'll have to decide yourself.

Having your workout last longer than 45-60 minutes isn't that big of a deal if you have the time for it. Most of us work full time and/or have families, so we want to optimize it to use less time. There are some things you can do to trim down workout time though. Supersetting exercises for instance, so you can cut down your rest time between sets.

Yes, you should do your chins and dips HST style. Do you have a weight belt yet? It's easier than holding a weight between your knees. Dips and chins can build some great mass if you do them HST style. Especially if you want to gain size in your lats, which are difficult to hit with other exercises.

Don't worry about your sports training. It will effect your gains, but you are young enough that you should make some good gains anyway, despite that - assuming you eat enough. If you are that nervous about the carbs, you could try eating slightly fewer carbs on your off days, but considering that you play sports, you will probably need all the food you can get.

Good luck. Don't forget to post your gains after your cycle.

Thanks for the advice.
About the dips/chins my max dips is already 10 reps (ie, I can only do a max of 10 dips with good form with only bodyweight). So how can I "HST" this for 15 reps?
The chins are OK because I have a machine for that where I can adjust the weight.
And what about calf raises? Should this still be "HSTed", given the fact I don't have enough weights at home for a 5 rep max?

Oh, and if I am only eating 130g of protein a day, is it still essential to eat protein during every meal? Can I eat carb-fat meals?

Back